Please help me to find some so I can help my chickies !

Quarterhorses1

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Jan 18, 2022
Hi, i’ve dealt with bumblefoot in my flock multiple times before, and become a pro at the surgery, but recently I discovered that three of my chickens have severe bumblefoot, big big bumbles that are rooted very deeply. Upon doing my research and from my previous experiences, I’ve learned that I really need a numbing agent. Which one is chicken safe ? I’m struggling to find one

Last edited:
I have done some pretty serious bumblefoot treatments and have never had to use a numbing agent. This article says you can use biofreeze for numbing, I've never used it on my birds so I can't personally attest to it:
https://www.thesilverfoxfarm.com/blog/chicken-first-aid-kit
If you are interested, I've had very good results with sugardine on some very stubborn bumblefoot. More on using that here in post #8:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/bumblefoot-not-healing.1443809/#post-23973555

I am struggling with bumblefoot in my rooster at the moment as well. Tonight we tried our hand at bumblefoot surgery for rhe first time (epic fail) and since it is a very severe case of bumblefoot, he is reacting to the pain, jerking his foot away and squirming trying to get away. I know that if I don't get the infection out, he will die because of it. I know there are risks in using numbing creams and ointments but I figured... the cream MIGHT be toxic and kill him but the bumblefoot will INEVITABLY kill him, most likley slowly and painfully... so I tried some numbing cream I had bought for getting a tattoo done in a very painful spot. It's called Numb520. They sell it on Amazon. It's about $15 for a small vial of it. A little goes a long way. I used it on his foot while we were cutting and while, he still flinched a little, I could tell it was alot less painful. He actually started to fall asleep at 1 point. I spread some on before we started and added more after we got the scab off, then more as needed. That was 4 hours ago and he is still alive and, at the moment, he is sleeping peacefully.

Back
Top Bottom