Please help me understand meat eaters not wanting to process a chicken!

As a vegan I can't understand it either as it smacks of hypocrisy - get someone else to do the dirty work and worse still purchase animals that have been raised in diabolical ways. For me, I think every life is precious and to those of you who take that life multiple times over, I don't understand you either!

www.viva.org.uk, www.animalaid.org.uk

As a vegan I can't understand it either as it smacks of hypocrisy - get someone else to do the dirty work and worse still purchase animals that have been raised in diabolical ways...

The problem is that the real world isn't so clear cut.

Plenty of food animals are raised in wholesome environments with very little devil worship. Given that this forum is about back-yard chickens, I'd say that any discussion of factory farms or conventional farm practices is totally missing the point anyway. Are you diabolical? Because you are talking about people just like you.

But if we do get into factory farming....raising food plants can result in many animals dying. Someone calculated that if you compare grass-fed beef to conventionally farmed wheat, calorie for calorie the wheat results in about 25 times as many animal deaths. Protecting grain from rodents means killing them in job lots. So is it better to kill one cow or 25 mice? Which is more diabolical?

I am very confused as to how the mindset comes up. My sister and I were raised the same. We both learned about why humans are omnivores by evolution, the value of fat (runs our brains), how food is made, we both know how food is processed in tons of different ways, environmental impacts of certain animals on the environment, etc.

We know a lot about our food and do a lot of research on where it comes from and how it gets to our table, what labels really mean on food, and so forth. We were both raised in overly urban areas.

We have different foods we refuse to eat, and while I want to move out and raise my own birds for meat and eggs, my sister can't bear raising a single bird for eating them and doesn't even want to interact with meat birds as she 'can't look food in the eye'. She always knew tons about how food gets to the table and we have discussed rather disgusting things about medicine for decades, but she is squeamish and doesn't want us to talk about how best to humanely kill a chicken.

Che can't (or won't) explain it either.

She is also afraid of domestic geese.

But if we do get into factory farming....raising food plants can result in many animals dying. Someone calculated that if you compare grass-fed beef to conventionally farmed wheat, calorie for calorie the wheat results in about 25 times as many animal deaths. Protecting grain from rodents means killing them in job lots. So is it better to kill one cow or 25 mice? Which is more diabolical?

Not to mention all the rabbit nests full of babies that get plowed under or the fawns run over while sleeping/hiding in the tall vegetation. I've seen it happen. Don't get me started on the insects.
Animal deaths happen all the time. I don't like it. The problem IMHO is overpopulation and modern lifestyles.
Geese sucked into plane engines. Small critters hit by autos. On and on.
She is also afraid of domestic geese.
Geese can be scary.

I used to anti-hunting (the Bambi thing), until I lived in an area where you were not allowed to hunt deer, and the deer there got smaller, suffered from starvation, and broken legs.
I used to think you had to be cruel to kill animals , even to eat them. Until I learned about how public processing meat and chicken really opened my eyes to who's really cruel.

I've changed alot. Especially from BYC. Members who process their own chickens are here to ensure their birds a quality of life. The store bought chicken had no quality of life. Some people that live here raise their own steak. It's in a pasture enjoying the sun and grass until it becomes dinner. They could have spent their life in a feed lot somewhere in the midwest.

I respect those who raise their animals for food, or keep chickens for eggs or pets. We all want quality of life for our animals. I thought I would never ever kill an animal. But some got sick, and it was my responsibility, and had to. I still cannot process chicken. If my neighbor did, and offered me chicken, it would be great. But still, I can't do it myself.

Not to mention all the rabbit nests full of babies that get plowed under or the fawns run over while sleeping/hiding in the tall vegetation. I've seen it happen. Don't get me started on the insects.
Animal deaths happen all the time. I don't like it. The problem IMHO is overpopulation and modern lifestyles.
Geese sucked into plane engines. Small critters hit by autos. On and on.
Geese can be scary.

All of those have been happening for a hundred years. I'm only thirst, so I wouldn't know if this has been going on for that long.

Sadly, overpopulation I complicated and derived from agrarian at titles one doesn't actually need in the city (misleading information about condoms and banning safe sex instruments has helped greatly too).

All of those have been happening for a hundred years. I'm only thirst, so I wouldn't know if this has been going on for that long.

Sadly, overpopulation I complicated and derived from agrarian at titles one doesn't actually need in the city (misleading information about condoms and banning safe sex instruments has helped greatly too).
I am sorry, but I have know idea what you are saying.

I suspect there basic message was, "I'm using a tablet or phone with 'autocorrection' of the 'malapropisms everywhere' school." Been there myself. :(

Since I deal with that a lot (and %*$&$!Ing hate it when my tablets and phones do it to me) I can safely translate it as:

...I'm only thirty so I wouldn't...

And:

...overpopulation is complicated and derived from agrarian attitudes one doesn't actually need in the city. ...

The latter probably being an allusion to the common view/"fact" that our world population is increasingly urban but the people retain many agrarian values (perhaps wanting detached homes with yards? Or maybe having lots of kids to help work the land they no longer have? Not sure...) long after they move into a city where those values aren't really appropriate.

Last edited:
Another electronic annoyance...my thumb's up this-post-was-helpful clicks never go through. If they did, you would have one right now Hungry. X)

As a vegan I can't understand it either as it smacks of hypocrisy - get someone else to do the dirty work and worse still purchase animals that have been raised in diabolical ways. For me, I think every life is precious and to those of you who take that life multiple times over, I don't understand you either!

www.viva.org.uk, www.animalaid.org.uk
You do know that Humans are naturally Omnivores.

Back
Top Bottom