Please help me understand meat eaters not wanting to process a chicken!

I eat meat, but I don't want to kill or process my own animals.

This in not for sentimental reasons!

Its just messy, looks disgusting, unpleasant, and takes up time I would rather spend doing other things.

People who live in the city would also have trouble getting rid of the waste, feathers, guts etc, of any animals they process.

Its just like people who drive cars, not everyone wants to be a mechanic or gas station worker.

I don't have any problem with that. I like doing it and like teaching it, but understand others not wanting to.

This makes sense to me. I raise meat birds and then pay someone 3.50 a bird to process them. I don't like it, and if I don't have to, why should I?

I think you just defined "hypocrite"....
then think again.

I like to drink OJ but I have never squeezed my own much less grown oranges and I don't want to. I must be a hypocrite

I love to surf the net but have no idea how it works much less how to put a computer together and I don't want to. I must be a hypocrite.

I live in a nice house, but have never made bricks or milled lumber and I don't want to. I must be a hypocrite.

As you can see, with your idea of hypocrite then the only ones not hypocrites are those with farms that have zero imputs. Nothing at all, not a nail or screw, not a board or leaf, not a seed or drop of water.

I, too, am in North Texas. I'm sure there are others in our area who teach "processing". I laugh at this term, because, like the styrofoam culture that has generated this interesting topic, it is a sanitized word. I have butchered my own chickens and although I certainly don't consider myself an expert, I would be happy to share information. My goal is no pain, no fear, then cleanliness, as much as is possible considering the activity.

I haven't had a chance to read through all the pages on this thread yet, but I just wanted to say THANK YOU SO MUCH for bringing up the discussion!!!! I am a city girl, new to rural life but LOVE it, and have chickens for the first time. We are going to raise some meat birds this summer and this topic is on my mind a lot, particularly WHY does it bother me so much to think about processing the birds. We have two children (13 and 4yo) that will at least witness, if not help with the processing. I'm so grateful they won't grow up like I did being ignorant and 'protected' from knowing about where our food really comes from.

So, thanks again!!!!!!
smile.png

I used hypocrite because the writer was suffering criticism from those who did not choose to attend the processing class. People certainly have the freedom not to process with no judgement from anyone as long as they don't condemn the one does does make this choice.

Back
Top Bottom