Please help me understand meat eaters not wanting to process a chicken!

Growing up we pretty much got only morels and andy gumps (aka peckerheads) and it was just recently that my father decided to try to expand his mushroom vocabulary. We tried turkey tails last year and this year we are watching out for 'chickens' and a few more.

I must be a horrible reader, because I can not for the life of me , figure our what you are saying. Murder and killing is the wrong terminology to use in this incendent. The right words are dispatch or cull, just saying.

This is to hungry's post

Last edited:
I must be a horrible reader, because I can not for the life of me , figure our what you are saying. Murder and killing is the wrong terminology to use in this incendent. The right words are dispatch or cull, just saying.

This is to hungry's post
He was reffering to someones post about MURDERING a chicken if you go back a few pages you will see that post

You are so right! We are constantly asked if our eggs are organic, and the answer is a resounding NO. But I'd take my eggs over the organic "free range" ones at the store, any day. We've been trying to use the word "pastured" for our poultry, just to distinguish ourselves from the "cage free" and "free range" eggs at the store. The words "free range" have come to mean exactly nothing in the modern large scale poultry barn.

We sell eggs for $3/dozen and make a tiny profit. For us to go organic, we'd have to charge something like $7/dozen!
This is why I don't buy organic stuff if I can help it, but I love to ask people at the farmer's market how they raise their livestock and grow they're veggies.

I'm also going to play with the word 'organic' and show people that there are several different meanings of the word and one of them is a meaningless label and let them decide what they want.

Hmm.. Let's try this way:

Someone mentioned a person who thought everyone who eats meat should slaughter at least one animal by their own hand. I don't buy that.

If you kill an animal and eat it there are ethical ramifications.

Paying someone to kill is killing.

Buying something which can only be procured through killing is paying someone to kill.

If you are clear on that, cool. I am, and happily buy meat every day. I don't try to fool myself into thinking someone else is responsible for the deaths that entails.

Some people do make a distinction. They say buying meat is OK but killing you own is not. They think they are better people because they don't kill their food by their own hand. That view is analogous to claiming you didn't murder your husband, you paid Fred and Fred is the murderer.

BTW: I don't know where you live but I doubt your "it's called culling" defense would work around here. Killing your husband is generally murder.

The problem isn't people who accept that they are responsible for the animals killed for them, whether those people can/will actually wield the knife or limit themselves to eating the cooked food. The problem is the people who think they can buy off responsibility.

I think it is like someone paying another to serve prison time for them..it is incorrect and shouldn't be tolerated. Everyone who eats meat should acknowledge that the slaughter was done for them and the end responsibility rests with them. As long as people are clear about that, learning the physical skill is like learning to sew.

Last edited:
This is why I don't buy organic stuff if I can help it, but I love to ask people at the farmer's market how they raise their livestock and grow they're veggies.

I'm also going to play with the word 'organic' and show people that there are several different meanings of the word and one of them is a meaningless label and let them decide what they want.

Yes and no.
It is not meaningless, just confusing. There are multiple levels of "organic", and they are that way for a very good reason. As a parent of a child with severe allergies to dyes and preservatives, we must pay attention to those labels, and I believe everyone should understand them, or try to learn.
The problem is the UNREGULTATED labels, like "all natural". That and others are used by companies to make a food appear healthier than it is.
Verified organic foods are not the same as organic, or usda certified organic, and if you ever spent a night in the ER with my daughter when we made an error in a food (such as thinking pursue chicken was no different than organic, or even better, then night we didnt read the fine print on a bag of bread to see they"might" use canola oil instead of butter) you would understand differently. I know i did, and I have had to make a lot of changes I may not have otherwise thought necessary.
Most people don't need to make a change this way, so they don't understand. This labeling system is not perfect, but its better than no labeling requirements.

Last edited:
It was the whole post that i was lost on.

Now I must agree with you with reading his follow up to your question.... but I get his point to a point. Harvesting or culling is just that. see below it is a play on words no matter how you word it

Harvesting by defination

har·vest·ed, har·vest·ing, har·vests
v.tr.
a.
To gather (a crop).
b. To take or kill (fish or deer, for example) for food, sport, or population control.
c.
To extract from a culture or a living or recently deceased body, especially for transplantation: harvested bone marrow.
2. To gather a crop from.
3. To receive (the benefits or consequences of an action). See Synonyms at reap.

Culling by defination
cull (k
ubreve.gif
l)
tr.v. culled, cull·ing, culls
To pick out from others; select.
2. To gather; collect.
3. To remove rejected members or parts from (a herd, for example).

Killing by defination
kill·ing (k
ibreve.gif
l
prime.gif
ibreve.gif
ng)
n.
1. Murder; homicide.
2. A kill; a quarry.
3. A sudden large profit: made a killing on the stock market.
adj.
1. Intended or apt to kill; fatal.
2. Thoroughly exhausting: a killing pace.
3. Informal Hilarious.

killing [ˈkɪlɪŋ]
adj
1. Informal very tiring; exhausting a killing pace
2. Informal extremely funny; hilarious
3. causing death; fatal
n
1. the act of causing death; slaying
2. Informal a sudden stroke of success, usually financial, as in speculations on the stock market (esp in the phrase make a killing)
killingly adv

kill•ing (ˈkɪl ɪŋ)

n.
1. the act of a person or thing that kills.
2. the total game killed on a hunt.
3. a quick and unusually large profit or financial gain.
adj.
4. fatal or destructive.
5. exhausting: a killing pace.
6. Informal. irresistibly funny

Yes and no.
It is not meaningless, just confusing. There are multiple levels of "organic", and they are that way for a very good reason. As a parent of a child with severe allergies to dyes and preservatives, we must pay attention to those labels, and I believe everyone should understand them, or try to learn.
The problem is the UNREGULTATED labels, like "all natural". That and others are used by companies to make a food appear healthier than it is.
Verified organic foods are not the same as organic, or usda certified organic, and if you ever spent a night in the ER with my daughter when we made an error in a food (such as thinking pursue chicken was no different than organic, or even better, then night we didnt read the fine print on a bag of bread to see they"might" use canola oil instead of butter) you would understand differently. I know i did, and I have had to make a lot of changes I may not have otherwise thought necessary.
Most people don't need to make a change this way, so they don't understand. This labeling system is not perfect, but its better than no labeling requirements.
I feel your pain there I grew up on the fein gold diet and 35+ years ago that was hard. Please see the attached website I am sure you already looked into it. but it worked wonders for me it took 10 years to find out I was allergic to red food dye. Which I have since grown out of but it is really hard to find foods that long ago with out the dye

http://www.feingold.org/

I feel your pain there I grew up on the fein gold diet and 35+ years ago that was hard. Please see the attached website I am sure you already looked into it. but it worked wonders for me it took 10 years to find out I was allergic to red food dye. Which I have since grown out of but it is really hard to find foods that long ago with out the dye

http://www.feingold.org/

Yep.
She is allergic to red 40, blue 1, and yellow 7. All of which are.banned in other countries as a food.
She also has an allergy to anything that is a racemic mixture, a chemically similar, but altered product. If anyone remembers "Olean", that was an example... A fat product that was chemically altered so the body cannot process it. It was a snack food that nearly killed a bunch of people, and pulled off the market. Other enantomers are the artificial flavors or sweeteners on the market, as an example. We suspect she is actually allergic to the buffers used to create the product, but the effect is the same.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom