Please help me understand meat eaters not wanting to process a chicken!

Exactly! Ive thought the same thing before about people having to earn the right! If you can kill it, then you can eat it.

I would like to weigh in on this! I am actually a very strict vegetarian (vegan when I go out). I never eat meat or dairy, but I will eat eggs from hens that I actually know. In other words, I only eat eggs from home. When I first decided to become vegan, it was on principle to boycott factory farming. I believe animals should live a decent life, afforded their instincts before they die. I feel it's the least we can do for them in exchange for the food they provide us. That being said: I whole-heartedly believe in the sentiment of the original forum post.

My brother is pretty much my opposite! He raises and slaughters all of his own meat (beef, pork, turkey, chicken, etc...) and I have a lot of respect for him for doing that. His animals have a good upbringing, and are treated well, and then when it's time, they provide food for his family. I believe that most of us on this forum treat our animals well, otherwise we probably wouldn't join groups about raising chickens!

I however, can NOT kill an animal, it just isn't in me. And because of that, I feel that I don't have the right to eat meat, so I abstain. I feel that people who eat meat, but want to pretend a fairy godmother brought them a steak, instead of an animal that gave it's life probably shouldn't be eating meat. So the irony is that as a vegan, I can still accept people eating meat when they are able to raise and slaughter their own, and accept everything that is associated with meat and it's source. So that is my two-cents on the matter!

@saybella
Not that it matters but I like that attitude.

I once read something that said people should have a license to eat meat. And they should have to qualify for that license by raising, killing, processing and cooking the animal.
If you caught a fish, killed and gutted the fish and then prepared it, you got a license to eat fish - and so forth. Raise, kill and butcher a steer, you get a license to eat beef.
The author said, if that was the way of the world, there would be a lot more vegetarians.

While I applaud you both making the best decisions for yourselves in regards to what is right, the purpose of humanity and society is that we all work together towards a common goal.

That being said, no two people are alike. it's the differences in each of us that make society so great. Those who are good with Math are bankers, those who are good with Science are biologists, those who are good with animals are farmers, etc.

If we expect everyone to be the same (be able to kill their own meat in order to eat it), it removes part of the differences that make society so successful. And yes, my personal experiences in life have shown me I am someone who can kill my own meat once I have someone show me how to properly do it in the most humane method possible.

I'd also like to state that I personally am against factory farming, which is why I am slowly moving towards free-range meat only as finances allow.

In addition I'd like to add that these are my personal opinions and I feel all posters have the right to their own opinions. Not trying to say anyone is wrong, just trying to offer a new perspective.

Last edited:
Quote:
All these people are alike in one way. They eat. Killing an animal for food isn't really a natural aptitude, though there are some who are more talented at hunting or skilled with a knife. Killing one's own food is an acquired skill and anyone who has hands can do it...I daresay even those without hands can learn to do it.

Don't really care if someone kills their own food or not, but comparing the doing so to a natural aptitude like math or science or an affinity with animals is a little bit off course. I think it all comes down to one thing...those who will and those who will not. It's not anything to do with can or cannot, but a will to do something or not do something. As such, it can be controlled and changed if a person chooses to do so.

I'd venture to say if we were in a time of famine, the bankers, biologists and other folks would adjust real quick and in a hurry about killing an animal for food. Since we are not currently in that state in this country, a person can pick and choose what they will or will not do. I have no problem with that at all...I love having the freedom and choices to do what I want, when I want. But to say one "cannot" kill an animal, as many state on this thread and others, I believe is not real accurate.

I'd say if folks were hungry enough they'd eat their own babies...and have done so in the history of this world.

Last edited:
Quote:
All these people are alike in one way. They eat. Killing an animal for food isn't really a natural aptitude, though there are some who are more talented at hunting or skilled with a knife. Killing one's own food is an acquired skill and anyone who has hands can do it...I daresay even those without hands can learn to do it.

Don't really care if someone kills their own food or not, but comparing the doing so to a natural aptitude like math or science or an affinity with animals is a little bit off course. I think it all comes down to one thing...those who will and those who will not. It's not anything to do with can or cannot, but a will to do something or not do something. As such, it can be controlled and changed if a person chooses to do so.

I'd venture to say if we were in a time of famine, the bankers, biologists and other folks would adjust real quick and in a hurry about killing an animal for food. Since we are not currently in that state in this country, a person can pick and choose what they will or will not do. I have no problem with that at all...I love having the freedom and choices to do what I want, when I want. But to say one "cannot" kill an animal, as many state on this thread and others, I believe is not real accurate.

I'd say if folks were hungry enough they'd eat their own babies...and have done so in the history of this world.

You're entitled to your opinion, but we'll just have to agree to disagree. I'm not here to debate, just state my opinion. I can tell you right now that I know people who could not kill an animal, regardless of the circumstances. I also know without a doubt, I would starve before I would harm my own child or anyone else's.

We're not animals. We're a civilized society.

Adding my two cents:

Yes, we actually are animals. But we have chosen to live in an organized society that allows us to ignore the fact that our food comes at a cost. Some people find that offensive, some don't, and some just want to not think about it at all. Starvation drives people to do things they would not otherwise ever consider, from stealing to eating bugs or pets and even to cannibalism. One cannot say what one would do until actually faced with real starvation. Further, we are insulated from the taking of life part of eating meat: I happen to think that is sad because it makes us less appreciative of our food, and less appreciative of life.

I grew up in the surburbs with the only animals we processed were fish. There is a disconnect with where food comes from. Meat has always been a part of my meals and it really didn't sink in where it comes from until I got older. I was talking with a friend of mine he other day and said I should become a vegetarian if I can't bring myself to process my chickens. I KNOW these chicks have already had a better life compared to those sitting in the grocery store even though they're just 3 weeks. It's sad.

When I first began raising chicken and butchering them I would have PTSD related panic attacks when I would see the blood.

Back
Top Bottom