PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!

ChilliPepper

Hatching
Sep 25, 2015
I Bought a two baby chicks a week ago, one of them has not been able to stand on one leg. I had posted a few days earlier but received no replies. This is the post >>>>>>> https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1023033/baby-chick-not-walking-properly-please-help <<<<<<<<

So a couple of minutes ago I just saw her not able to stand on both legs, she just sits there all day and everyday. She eats perfectly fine and drinks too, but her legs can't support her. When we bought her she was able to function properly but now she is not able to do that, she hasn't been injuried and we keep here in a warm and safe environment.

PLEASE HELP ME

I had one like that but it was only 3-5 days old. I gave them some agrilab vitamin and electrolytes in their water. ( it doesn't have iron) it took a few days but now my chick is 4 weeks and strong. I was told it could be a Vitamin B deficancy. I too use a chick starter that is medicated because I don't know what nest conditions were like before they were shipped to me.

I'm no expert, but personally in such situations i cull chicks with such symptoms. If there are other members that do things differently it would be great to hear from them.

CT

One of my chicks broke her leg I took her to the vet 200 dollars later, only to find out it was set wrong, she healed leg out of socket, but she still gets around with one leg, we love her. Hind sight I would of set the leg myself. I'm so sorry you are going through this a lot of people told me I should have killed her but I couldn't do it, I understand the reasoning I'm just too sensitive and truthfully I'm glad I didn't.

Her Legs also have started to shake violently and when she tries to walk she keeps falling over and use both her wings for support (I will get more pictures of her legs soon)

What are you feeding them, where are they housed, do you have older birds?....

I would assume its a feed problem, but need more details... Looks like an Australorp?

Scramble an egg and cook it and feed it to the chick; and some fresh water with electrolytes or sugar/apple cider vinegar, about a tbsp of each with the sugar and ACV if you don't have a vitamin electrolyte powder handy.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom