PLEASE HELP MITES MITES AND MORE MITES!!!!!

Pete fernBonnie

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 3, 2012
hi i went to the farmers market last week and i noticed a poorly looking bird. the man said its a healthy polish , but it was very noticeable that it was in bad condition. i wanted to help it so i bought it and took it home. she was completely infested with mites on her head (and by the way she is a polish) so i went to lowes and bought some seven dust. i dusted her completly using a cotton bag with the dust and shaking it on the bird going directly on the skin. i had to do her head every other day to make sure they were gone. i put her in a coop that has been dusted and sprayed and i thought that all the mites were gone and today i looked at her head and the mites are building up again! also i noticed she has kept itching her nostrils and they were n her nostrils too too! i really need help please help ASAP thanks bethany

Try Frontline. I use the spray form, and I squirt one pump under each wing directly onto the skin. I have heard of other people using the actual ointment and putting one drop under each wing. It has worked well with my silkies who got mites last summer. I dusted and used the Frontline together and got rid of them that way.

Mites do develop resistance to pesticides. You might try a different one, such as pyrethrin or permethrin.

One of my chickens (a broody) got so many mites that they were on me, too. A shower took care of me. I wonder if a bath (given warm enough weather and thorough drying) would work for a chicken? I don't know.

One thing I learned about mites is that they multiply and spread. The roosts, cracks and crevices of the coop, nest boxes, etc. need treatment as well.

thanks so much ! i had to do a deed no one wants to do, it was so bad on her head we had to cut of all the feathers on her head and i put seven on her head and i tryed frontline underneath her wings and she is getting better by the day

Back
Top Bottom