Please Help My Chicken With Prolapse

Did you have to re apply the honey after the first treatment?

I just slathered up a hen and I noticed it went back in, however it came right back out after she walked around for a bit. It seems like she sucks it in but can't keep it in for long.

BTW my wife was outside videoing me while laughing like crazy that I was pouring honey on a chicken butt.

On other note I'm glad to find another good use for honey. I bought 25 lbs of it last year.

I had a chicken with prolapse and ended up saving her. It was hanging out, was really dark red and it looked like it may be infected. I had no idea what to do. So I guessed....I confined her to a small cage in a isolated area and kept her warm. I kept her bottom clean by placing her in a bucket of warm water with a few drops of baby shampoo to clean off the goop from her poops every morning and at night (2x's per day). After she was cleaned, I smeared triple antibiotic gel on her bottom and placed her in a quiet location. I also kept a small heater on for her at night because I was afraid she would be cold after being wet from the bath. I gave her plenty of food (chopped dandelion greens/chopped grapes/shelled sunflower seeds/chick food w/antibiotics). She ate everything and never acted once like she was in pain. So I figured if she could deal with it, so could I. I also got some antibiotic to add to her water from the feedstore.

Every 3 to 4 days, she would lay an egg. The first time the egg wouldn't come out and was stuck in her for 1/2 the day. So I slathered on the triple anitibotic gel around the bound egg, placed her in a bucket of warm water, and gently pushed on the top of the sack and pushed out the egg. Needless to say she felt better. This went on for about 3 weeks. Gradually the color started to turn back to a normal pink color and soon after it poped back in by itself. That was about 6 mionths ago and she has been fine every since... and back to her old sweet self
smile.png

I have now got a chiken (Matilda) with a prolapsed uterus. She was looking quite sorry for herself, so I read your article and decided to give it a go. I had cleaned her up last night and applied honey. The first signs looked good, it started to contract straight away and I thought she might be lucky and it might go back. Anyway after 15 minutes I went back to check and it seemed bigger than before....I am not sure if I did this correct, but I applied a bit more honey and gave her a helping hand and it gently popped back. By now she was extremely quiet (unusual for her!). Anyway I put her seperate from my two other girls and kept her quiet all night, half expecting the worse this morning! But she was still with us
smile.png
Only problem is its still the same position so I have put more honey on.... I was wondering do I have to push everything back in everytime it pops out ? or will nature naturally do this? She seems her usual self despite this problem and is eating like mad (as usual). I appreciate any help, so thank you
smile.png

Last edited:
I'm going to try the honey now too. I'm on day 3 with a hen with a prolapse. She lays an identical egg every day, but maybe she wanted to lay but too many hens in the nest box at once. I can't get the poo off of her feathers at all even after a 10min soak. I got out a pair of scissors instead and cut off as close as I could without hurting her.

She's constantly oozing urates so I can't get the ointment to stick. I went out today and bought PrepH cream. The cashier at Walmart just looks at me like I'd set down a box of contraceptives, lubricant, a can of whipped cream, and a box of plastic wrap.
sad.png

Yesterday her prolapse was smaller and I could push it back in, but she didn't lay an egg yesterday. Today she lays an egg and the prolapse is bigger. I will try the honey today. I'm willing to do anything for her. She eats pretty well and I'm trying to only feed her soft foods. I bought some Tetracycline, but haven't figured out what dose to give her. I didn't think about medicated chick food or offering her calcium. Duh! I will try both and report back here.

Hi, I'm in UK & our chucks are pets. My Wheaten Maran hen had a prolapse egg sack last year so I looked on this website for a cure. I got lots of advice here & there, and I cured her! We bathed her in warm saline baths 2 or 3 times a day. After the bath, we put honey on the prolapse. After a few days it seemed to scab & things didn't look good. We persevered & bathed putting honey on the prolapse afterwards & we tried also to push the honey under the 'scab'. The prolapse seemed to slowly shrink back in and after 10 days or so, the 'scab' fell off & it went back in completely!! Our vet was astounded, he had suggested euthanasia. Six months later our hen 'Honey' is now laying again. We are SO relieved to have saved her, she was only 3 years old. It just goes to show, some nurturing & love can do the trick, where the medics wold give up. So dont give up, you can save your hen!!!

So I have the same issue... our chicken is 6 months old and she just started laying, though I am not positive I ever did receive an egg from her as we have 5 other hens.

My wife noticed that she had an egg bound problem, and I promptly conducted a google search and followed that advice, which was to soak her in a warm water bath. After soaking her, I found not one, but TWO eggs that came out... one was perfect, the other had little cracks in it (to me it sounds like a calcium problem).

I lathered her up with honey and pushed the prolapse in, which it stayed for about a minute... and then she pushed it out again. I put more honey on her, and then pushed it in, and then placed her in a box for the next couple of days, isolating her from the other chickens.

We are now on day 3 (I have also added prep-H to her regiment in the morning, honey at night), and I have a nice black mess... she ic preening herself, eating like a champ and drinking like a champ. I am about to put her in a open air cage and allow her to have some sunlight (didn't do it up to this point as I didn't want her producing more eggs).

It seems to have gotten a bit better, but she keeps crapping on the prolapse, which I am sure is not helping the infection. I still soak her nightly and as soon as I am done soaking her, she just poops on the cleanness of what I have done. I am about to put some prep-H on the wound... as I think the medicine will help more than the honey.

However, I am curious if this is a lost cause. I have attached a couple pictures of this... I think she should remained isolated, but I am also noticing she pecks at the prolapse from time to time... should I just put her back in the general population?

Any advice is appreciated!
1.bp.blogspot.com/-cJyy9P4Xbjg/TVtXT224RXI/AAAAAAAACc8/_1Tgz1Ec7XU/s1600/Chicken%2BSac%2B011.JPG

for some reason, it seems like the honey actually works. and time, cleanliness, and patience.

good luck and keep us posted. what we do for our chickens!!

Back
Top Bottom