Please help my duck is injured

455662ducks

Hatching
Dec 25, 2020
I heard my dog barking at the pond and went out and saw nothing, when I went to get my ducks my female Indian runner had her neck tucked back. Then I noticed she had a bite , it has no blood it’s just a little hole . A few weeks ago one of my Peking disappeared without a trace too. Please give me tips to help her and find out what predator is doing this!

Can you upload a pic of the wound? Is she having any symptoms?
It looks like there is a lot of blood but it’s just a little, the third picture shows how she is walking. You can only see the bite if you lift up her feathers

Attachments

• BB5BB72A-6CFD-4163-B5E7-F53FF9BA67F8.jpeg
    BB5BB72A-6CFD-4163-B5E7-F53FF9BA67F8.jpeg
    384.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 2E3FA09C-19A2-4337-A912-7F32DD20686C.jpeg
    2E3FA09C-19A2-4337-A912-7F32DD20686C.jpeg
    271.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 92B715C2-0EA0-4187-8B54-4899C5193A90.jpeg
    92B715C2-0EA0-4187-8B54-4899C5193A90.jpeg
    349.7 KB · Views: 5
How is your duck doing this morning?

In most cases, a good lavage of the wound using saline, or antiseptic wash is recommended, but that is contradicted in cases such as your bird where the fluids may end up getting inside her body. Instead, try to make a clear zone around the wound, either via trimming, or plucking the feathers to do so.

Once a small featherless zone around the wound has been established, you can gently wipe the wound with a soft damp towel to help lavage out debris or bacteria. A syringe equipped with a needle can be used to accurately flush the wound diverting the stream "away" from the major hole.

If you are able to pinch the skin together, you could either suture/staple it together, or use superglue (preferably derma bond) to seal the hole. If you are unable to do either, consider just applying a decent amount of antibacterial ointment such as Preparation H/ Silver Silvadene, and repeat as needed to keep the wound moist.

Bandages have endless benefits for wound healing, but given the location of the wound, it will be likely too hard to keep it in its correct place. Considering bacteria may have entered her bloodstream, you may contemplate getting some antibiotics fish/bird form for her. Those can be obtained online, without a prescription. In addition to what's suggested, attempt to keep her in a warm, stress-free area, away from flies. Pay close attention to how her feces look, and how much feed, and water she drinks.

https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10

How is your duck doing this morning?

In most cases, a good lavage of the wound using saline, or antiseptic wash is recommended, but that is contradicted in cases such as your bird where the fluids may end up getting inside her body. Instead, try to make a clear zone around the wound, either via trimming, or plucking the feathers to do so.

Once a small featherless zone around the wound has been established, you can gently wipe the wound with a soft damp towel to help lavage out debris or bacteria. A syringe equipped with a needle can be used to accurately flush the wound diverting the stream "away" from the major hole.

If you are able to pinch the skin together, you could either suture/staple it together, or use superglue (preferably derma bond) to seal the hole. If you are unable to do either, consider just applying a decent amount of antibacterial ointment such as Preparation H/ Silver Silvadene, and repeat as needed to keep the wound moist.

Bandages have endless benefits for wound healing, but given the location of the wound, it will be likely too hard to keep it in its correct place. Considering bacteria may have entered her bloodstream, you may contemplate getting some antibiotics fish/bird form for her. Those can be obtained online, without a prescription. In addition to what's suggested, attempt to keep her in a warm, stress-free area, away from flies. Pay close attention to how her feces look, and how much feed, and water she drinks.

https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10
She is in the same state as yesterday when I found her. She is hanging around her nest a lot. Do you think she will be able to lay? That’s my main concern for now as I don’t want her to get egg bound. She couldn’t bend down to drink but when I brought some water up to her face she did drink. Her wound does look like it has already started to heal . Thanks a lot for your help.

She is in the same state as yesterday when I found her. She is hanging around her nest a lot. Do you think she will be able to lay? That’s my main concern for now as I don’t want her to get egg bound. She couldn’t bend down to drink but when I brought some water up to her face she did drink. Her wound does look like it has already started to heal . Thanks a lot for your help.

Fortunately, during stressful times, birds will generally cease egg production, but that is sometimes not the case; if you feel that she may be egg bound you could try giving her 1ml of calcium gluconate 23%, or part of crushed-up tums.

If she continues not to be drinking or eating much on her own. Emphasis should either be put on taking her to a veterinarian, or getting tube-feeding supplies to fulfill her nutritional, and hydration needs.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/tube-feeding-ducks-updated-5-7-2020.1211994/

Back
Top Bottom