Please help on how to cut wood!

lyndatu

Songster
12 Years
Nov 13, 2007
Hello

I have seen nice pictures of the Coop Design section of this site and I want to do some wood working of my own for my chickens. But I don't have any experience in carpentry! We have lots of old wood in our shed, but I don't know how to use them. I don't know how to make complex cuts on wood - can you help me?

On the picture below(sorry for the choppy drawings!) I wanted to cut wood that way so that the recesses would serve as support for other wooden beams. How do you make a cut like that? Is there a special technique on doing that cut? Is there a special type of tool needed(I hear about drill saw in the other websites - does it work?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21299534@N08/3556189449/

On this picture again I needed to make a recess on the wood so it can provide support to other beams. What tool or technique should I use?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21299534@N08/3557011306/

I have seen pictures of coop construction and I was wondering how they can attach one large piece of wood to another. Is there some type of technique on how to connect two wooden poles with nails?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21299534@N08/3556211031/

Also I want to know how to install a roof. Will nails be strong enough to secure it on top of the coop?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21299534@N08/3557033604/

Sorry for all the questions
smile.png
. Do you know a website where I can learn carpentry techniques, or should I just need to have the right tools? Please teach me how. Your replies are appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I don't know alot about special cutting. We did very little fancy cuts. DH is good with angles and notched a few boards but other then that just straight cuts.

What I would suggest though, is using screws instead of nails. A screw will pull together the wood (even a warped board) and help to hold it all together longer. You can get a bit for your drill that makes screwing so much easier and faster.

Good luck. Chickens don't need anything fancy, just durable and functional.

Also, measure twice, cut once.

I just reread your posting....

"I have seen pictures of coop construction and I was wondering how they can attach one large piece of wood to another. Is there some type of technique on how to connect two wooden poles with nails?"

My DH sometimes used smaller pieces that screwed into one and then the other. This method also added additional support. I could take some pics as examples but hopefully someone else knows more and can explain it better.

on #1. cut the two sides to the depth you need. then either, knock out the piece with a hammer or use a wood chisel to cut it out.

#2 is much easier with a dowel (round) otherwise, you need to drill and use a chisel.

#3 nail througth the top. straight down in your picture.

#4, use nails with rubber washers to seal it, or screws.

Your local home improvement store is your first resource. Print the photos, find somone who can help you... Home Depot, Lowes or even a little local place.

Online.. my favorite resource for the correct way to build things is diynetwork.com obviously they won't have much in the way of chicken coops but they do have lots of building, and it's all about the same.

Make sure before you cut anything existing that it is NOT supportive or critical to the structure. If you know nothing about construction do NOT use your own judgement.

It really sounds to me like you need to find someone to help. Or in the reverse, go volunteer at your local Habitat for Humanity for a few weekends and ask plenty of questions while your there. In 2 days on a jobsite, you'll learn MORE than you ever will online.

I honestly think hands on is the best way.
Good luck.. and be prepared for mistakes as you learn, it's just part of the process.

good luck--my DH won't teach me how to use power tools...he thinks I might start a few new projects on top of the hundred I already have in progress. He says I get myself into enough trouble with paper, scissors and glue.

As a fellow carpentry/construction newbie who just finished my 2nd chicken tractor, I have 2 pieces of advice:

1. Don't beat yourself up if you put something together, and it breaks or falls apart. You're going to make mistakes. It's okay! Study what happened, figure out how to prevent it from happening in the future, and keep moving forward.

2. Start noticing carpentry details whenever you spot them. Whenever you see exposed wood, look at what's going on there, and make a mental note of it for the future.

Everything around you was designed and built by someone with a lot of experience. Ask "Why did they do that?" and "How would I do that, if I wanted to?" If there's a particular problem you're trying to solve, look around to see how other people have solved it.

Just as an example: You mention wanting to cut recesses, to provide support for the wooden beams. I'm not sure if you need to do it that way. I have a loft-style cabin, and the beams which hold up the bedroom loft (i.e. over my head as I sit here downstairs at the computer) are supported by one long board without recesses. It's just bolted on there.

Your own shed can probably provide a lot of information! I also got "tips" by walking down the row of model sheds in the Home Depot parking lot.

From all the examples you provided it sure looks like you're trying to do post and beam construction. That is total overkill for a chicken coup. I think as a beginning woodworker you'll be much happier and productive if you stick to standard 2x4 construction techniques. There are lots of sites on the web that will educate you on this - search on "basic framing", "wall construction", "2x4 construction", etc.

But if you simply must make a notch in a beam like the first example, the easiest way is to take a skill saw and adjust the depth of cut to the depth of your notch. Then make multiple passes about 1/4" apart across the width of the notch. Then use a hammer and chisel to knock out the pieces and clean up the notch.

Er, what you're describing is pretty finicky stuff. I would really, REALLY REALLY not recommend learning it in a structural context. Learn to make mortises, tenons, rabbets, etc etc by making nestboxes or a workbench or something. It takes a considerable amount of skill to get these things to fit well enough to be strong (also, they're very much more time consuming and difficult than just screwing or nailin two pieces of wood together)... you DO NOT want to make your mistakes on something that can fall and squish you and your animals.

I have not looked at the photos of the particular things you are talking about (I'm on dialup) but in general the tools you would want for woodworking like you're describing are either a handsaw and chisel (also augur, for mortises)and a HUGE LOT of time and precision, or a good table saw (or circular saw if you are very good with it) and a chisel and, again, a considerable am't of time and skill.

Really, don't be all advanced-woodwork-y on your coop -- they are wonderful skills to acquire but this is not the project on which to acquire them. Build your coop with normal pole or stud-wall construction, using nails/screws
wink.png

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom