Please help. Poorly chickens. Is it respitary?

I'm sorry for your loss :hugs
Runny gloppy eyes, coughing and gasping for breath sounds like a respiratory disease.
There are several with similar symptoms so it's hard to know which one without testing. Infectious Bronchitis, Mycoplasma, Infectious Coryza and ILT are some of the most common. If you have vet care, that would be best - sometimes antibiotics can be used to help treat secondary infections due to illness. Keep in mind that even if your birds recover - most respiratory illnesses make birds and those exposed carriers for life. If you still have the body of one that has passed - refrigerating and sending it for necropsy/testing is a good idea - this way you know what you are dealing with.

Marek's does not cause watery eyes and coughing (or other "classic" respiratory symptoms like facial swelling, mucous) - it can cause paralysis that can make it difficult to breath so a chicken can gasp - this difficulty and a weakened state can cause reduction in lung function making a bird more susceptible to air sac/respiratory infection (secondary illnesses). The only way to test for Marek's is through necropsy.
FWIW - the Marek's vaccine can offer some level of protection, but is not a full preventive for the disease - it only stops the formation of tumors associated with Marek's but does not prevent infection from the virus (it is a very complicated and frustrating disease).

Testing for common diseases like Infectious Bronchitis, Mycoplasma, etc. are generally not required for birds that are taken to shows or even to qualify for breeder programs like NPIP, hatcheries in the US don't test for these - of course there are always exceptions depending on where you live and if an illness has a high incidence in your area.

Do the best you can - clean out the eyes, flush with saline, you can apply ophthalmic ointment like Terramycin to the eyes to help with infection. Keep them drinking, poultry vitamins may give them a boost. I'm very sorry - I wish there were better answers for you, please keep us posted.
Common Poultry Diseases http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
Marek's http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq
thank for the reply and your advice!

Sadly that's all 3 that were poorly now passed - 1 died last night and 2 today. Also found 1 dead in the coop last night and another 1 today (they 2 showed no signs yesterday, seemed healthy) so I really don't know what's going on.

No vets in our area treat poultry but we get on with the local farmer and have had his vet check over the hens in the past and also advice from him so hopefully he will get back to me.
Thank you x

thank for the reply and your advice!

Sadly that's all 3 that were poorly now passed - 1 died last night and 2 today. Also found 1 dead in the coop last night and another 1 today (they 2 showed no signs yesterday, seemed healthy) so I really don't know what's going on.

No vets in our area treat poultry but we get on with the local farmer and have had his vet check over the hens in the past and also advice from him so hopefully he will get back to me.
Thank you x
Oh I'm so sorry! May they rest in peace!

I'm in the UK (Scotland).
It's Sunday so will be able to contact our local farmer vet tomorrow hopefully as not had any luck as yet.
Ah..no idea what testing services might be available over there.
Here's a UK chat thread that may garner some advice:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/anyone-in-england.2199/page-69

I think I may do that in future, I've recently just got my first hatcher and succcesfully hatched chicks in the house - I will be keeping these separate just in case.
Keep in mind that disease can be carried in eggs too...and that you must clean yourself and all equipment between tending the sick bird flock and the new chicks.

Sorry for you losses & having to go through this part of raising animals....Diseases & Loss. Glad to hear you decided not to cull your flock, instead working through whatever is affecting your flock. Praying for the rest & best wishes with your new hatches.

Back
Top Bottom