PLEASE HELP! PROLAPSE VENT!

divineangel94

Songster
Jul 17, 2019
My pet hen had a prolapse two weeks ago. The prolapse went away a week ago so I let her back in. Now it's back and bigger. I don't have any ointment right now. I ordered some preparation H from Walmart which should be here this afternoon. I have her in a crate and soaked her in Epsom salt water. Then sprayed her with vetericyn spray. She acts normal except when she stands still pushing at it like she's trying to lay. Vet isn't an option cause he's an hour away. Please any advice on how to shrink it? Or anything to make her more comfortable?

I should add that she is still acting like the nutcase she is. Pecked at bread and grass. Pooping liquid that's normal color and tried to fly on the door of her medical coop like she thought that's how to open it. It's just huge and with my anxiety, I see it worse than it probably is. I'm hoping she'll live through this but it breaks my heart.

Attachments

• 20230403_085008.jpg
    20230403_085008.jpg
    594.3 KB · Views: 68
  • 20230403_085002.jpg
    20230403_085002.jpg
    719.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230403_084944.jpg
    20230403_084944.jpg
    797.9 KB · Views: 12
So sorry! I didn't see this until I replied! Sending big hugs your way!!!
I didn't have the courage to do this until this evening but this is what all came out. It is a Graphic photo. I feel bad that I had to get her euthanized, but I didn't want her to suffer. I didn't think there was anything I could do. I just miss her like crazy. I also haven't been able to bury her yet cause I'm injured so I'm getting help tomorrow.

Attachments

• 20230405_164711.jpg
    20230405_164711.jpg
    445 KB · Views: 8
Honey, sugar and a few drops of water made into a thick paste, or even olive or vegetable oil can work to keep it moist and not dry out. The first 2 can shrink it. Can you give her a human calcium tablet with vitamin D now, and once a day for a few days? Unfortunately, prolapsed vents are frequently repeated. Sometimes they can have an egg with them. How old is she? Is she getting a layer feed and does she have crushed oyster shell available?

My pet hen had a prolapse two weeks ago. The prolapse went away a week ago so I let her back in. Now it's back and bigger. I don't have any ointment right now. I ordered some preparation H from Walmart which should be here this afternoon. I have her in a crate and soaked her in Epsom salt water. Then sprayed her with vetericyn spray. She acts normal except when she stands still pushing at it like she's trying to lay. Vet isn't an option cause he's an hour away. Please any advice on how to shrink it? Or anything to make her more comfortable?

I should add that she is still acting like the nutcase she is. Pecked at bread and grass. Pooping liquid that's normal color and tried to fly on the door of her medical coop like she thought that's how to open it. It's just huge and with my anxiety, I see it worse than it probably is. I'm hoping she'll live through this but it breaks my heart.
Having just dealt with a chick with prolapse you have my sympathy! :hugs The people I tagged helped me greatly.

My vet did say that putting sugar water on it will help reduce the swelling. Also, until you get the other stuff from Walmart, if you have cortisone cream try putting that on it. I don't want to give anymore advice, though, since I've only dealt with this one time and on a week old chick, not an adult hen.

Honey, sugar and a few drops of water made into a thick paste, or even olive or vegetable oil can work to keep it moist and not dry out. The first 2 can shrink it. Can you give her a human calcium tablet with vitamin D now, and once a day for a few days? Unfortunately, prolapsed vents are frequently repeated. Sometimes they can have an egg with them. How old is she? Is she getting a layer feed and does she have crushed oyster shell available?
I just got preparation H which worked last time. She's 6 years old and never had this issue before this year. No oyster shells unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom