Please Help! Raccoon Problem!!! Click Here!!!!!!!!

Pics
I would worry about the dog being hurt. A lab is not a match for a dog, in water the dog would be dead. A couple dogs would take a coon though.
I've seen many a coon taken down by one dog. I despise raccoons. I have seen a medium sized dog dispatch a very large (pushing twenty pounds) raccoon in a very short period of time. Raccoon v Dog, I'll take the dog and give heavy odds.

I'm in south euclid. It's illegal here. 9_9; Drowning could be considered animal cruelty (it sure is for most animals) and it's waaaaaaaaaay too EZ to get in legal trouble with your neighbors. Not worth the time and effort.

I also have no problems with tree huggers, given that I am one, so....
It is fully legal in the City of South Euclid to dispatch those vile and filthy vermin (raccoons). I own a few properties, in South Euclid, and I've trapped the hayull out of them. Tenants don't like raccoons getting into their garage. Feel free in leaving a message with Michael Lograsso. You can find his number in the city directory.

I pop 'em with a spring load to the head. Some kicking and writhing, producing a dead raccoon.

I have raise chickens & I have also rehabbed raccoons. They certainly do not mix & I told my contractor husband that any pen he made for raccoons had better be secure enuf to also hold a gorilla bc I didnt want any sleepless nights worrying about the safety of my flock. Honestly, the ONLY foolproof protection I have ever found for chickens, once any clever predator (coon, fox) has discovered them and started poaching, is a dog. An LGD who stays out with your birds is a priceless asset. Raccoons are relentless, merciless hunters & they will not stop coming for your birds until they get them all, but they are also terrified of canines. A dog is a long term solution (and commitment), but boy howdy, is it ever effective, and you dont need to stay awake at night wondering if your electric wire is on or whether the coons are outsmarting your traps (they will, by the way...they can figure out & exit a HavAHeart trap in about 30 mins). I have 2 LGDs in my pastures with my goats & sheep, & my chickens reap the benefits of their protection as well, 24/7....even from airborne predators like hawks and owls.
The answer to this jeopardy question is “what is a D-O-G”.

Raccoons are digging under our chicken coop! Yes, raccoons. :mad: :he:he:he:he:rant:rant:rant:rantDarn raccoons!!!! They have been extremely persistent. What are fairly cheap products that you use that are affective raccoon repellents? ANY INFO WILL BE WELCOMED, AND APPRECIATED!!!!!
Thanks in advance!!!
The only way I solved our raccoon problem was to park the car near the coop and stay up all night, waiting for the coons. A well-placed shot with a .22 will dispatch them handily. Haven't had the problem return, and my chickens, guineas, and ducks are happy. Owls and hawks are the worries now.

Unfortunately my dog will eat chickens at any opportunity.

You'll have to trap them or shoot them or else they'll just keep coming back. No repellent will last long, they'll get used to it and eventually not even care it's there. A live trap is a good option, but you'll have to dispatch them once you catch them, they'll find their way back.

@duluthralphie can help you cook them once you catch em.

I had a bad racoon problem for a while and here is what I did: I rebuilt my chicken yard with hardware cloth, on three sides. Racoons canc't bite through hardware cloth. I dug down a foot and approned out the hardware cloth that keeps the racoons from being able to did underneath. I have the coop inside the chicken yard and I lock the girls in at night. I have not had one racoon attack since.

I lay down 3 feet of old rusty chain link fencing many, many years ago, and put it a bit under the coop, as far as I could, AND about 3-4 feet out (away) from the coop. I covered it with dirt/straw/wood chips....whatever, and it stopped them for a time, as they kept trying out further and further from the coop until they hit the end of the fencing and started to dig again. As other folks have said, what REALLY works is an electrified wire about 6-8 inches off the ground....maybe another 6 inches higher if you really want safety. Not real expensive of you can find used boxes and parts (I tried to see what state you were in but I was unable to see, as I have some extra attachments and wire galore!) but the feed stores sell what you need and you ground the device and run the wires and you're good to go, leaving a gate for you to enter. Good luck. Repellants do little or nothing and the smell wouldn't be great for the birds AND you have to reapply a lot.

Large spring trap with marshmallows zip tied so can't be clawed around. Remember that coons are den animals and usually after one you will go through more. I had the problem. I caught and dispatched 5 raccoons diging. Traps were just sat outside next to coop.

You'll have to trap them or shoot them or else they'll just keep coming back. No repellent will last long, they'll get used to it and eventually not even care it's there. A live trap is a good option, but you'll have to dispatch them once you catch them, they'll find their way back.

@duluthralphie can help you cook them once you catch em.
When we built our run we extended the wire a foot to 18" outward ,covered in dirt a d put rocks around exterior all around run. We have not had coins, possums able to come thru. If u haven't built like this the will continue to get in. Hope this helps

It is fully legal in the City of South Euclid to dispatch those vile and filthy vermin (raccoons). I own a few properties, in South Euclid, and I've trapped the hayull out of them. Tenants don't like raccoons getting into their garage. Feel free in leaving a message with Michael Lograsso. You can find his number in the city directory.

I pop 'em with a spring load to the head. Some kicking and writhing, producing a dead raccoon.

It is 100% illegal it shoot them here. Trap and dispose of, sure. But not shoot. And many, many people have been sentenced to prison in Ohio for drowning animals. Please don't promote violation of the law.

In any case OP has not come back and had their question well answered.

Back
Top Bottom