Please help! Trouble hatching! What do I do?

Kelseyjordans

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2020
Hey there! So I’ve had a hen sitting on eggs for I’m thinking over 21 days now? I dated some of the eggs but those didn’t have any babies growing in them. I know a few eggs were laid after she started sitting on the ones I dated, I heard a peep yesterday in the nesting box but no chicks, checked on them today haven’t heard any peeps and there’s no holes in the eggs. Should I float them to see if they are still alive or wait another day? The eggs I dated were due the 21st so I’m hoping the others laid after aren’t too far behind.

I am in this exact same boat. I am on day 23 and saw movement a few days ago on lockdown day but nothing since. I totally don't know what to do. Mine are in an incubator so I am terrified of opening it. Since yours are under a hen, maybe try the float test? Sorry I have no advice but best of luck to you!

I am in this exact same boat. I am on day 23 and saw movement a few days ago on lockdown day but nothing since. I totally don't know what to do. Mine are in an incubator so I am terrified of opening it. Since yours are under a hen, maybe try the float test? Sorry I have no advice but best of luck to you!
Thank you! I tried gently tapping on the eggs and listening for any sound but I didn’t hear or feel anything. I believe they are goners :(

So! It is now dark out and I went to candle then instead of float them and I saw movement in one egg!! I believe she is just taking her time. :)

That is wonderful news! I am sorry I didn't see this earlier! Did yours ever hatch? One of mine hatched on day 26, the other pipped through a vein and died in its shell overnight. :( I hope you had better luck!

That is wonderful news! I am sorry I didn't see this earlier! Did yours ever hatch? One of mine hatched on day 26, the other pipped through a vein and died in its shell overnight. :( I hope you had better luck!
No worries! Unfortunately she broke the last egg with a baby in it a few weeks ago. She is now back in the coop with the others. :(

Back
Top Bottom