Please help - what can I do about a bald eagle?

A few years ago, a mink got into one of my coops, killed three of four hens and came back the next day to take a runner duck. The night of the attack, I knew the killer would return and sat, bundled up in coveralls, in the snow with a three-tined cultivator and gave chase when the mink came back about an hour later to take the last hen.

I spent the remaining few hours of the evening on the sofa, next to an open window so I could hear any alarm calls by the birds, even though it was well below freezing outside.

When I discovered that the drake was missing -- the ducks used to be able to wander the entire property during the day -- I was beside myself. Every sound, every movement was the mink returning, I was sure. And, that lasted for weeks.

However, I fenced off the back of the property -- runners aren't good at flying, so a 4-foot Menards fence panel is insurmountable for them -- and half of the front. The chickens, ducks and geese still have considerable space to be themselves, but all are contained within sight and sound of the house. Even if they slip through a hole in the fence and wander into the goat pen, I can see them.
I am so sorry this happened to you!

I totally understand the worry and the feeling that no amount of effort is too much to protect these guys! They are so vulnerable and if we don't step in they get so terribly hurt / killed so easily.

When one is gone it leaves a hole in our hearts. They are so different, sometimes with amazing personalities. I know.

Back
Top Bottom