Please help with my quails bizarre behaviour!

LizziBee

Hatching
Jul 6, 2015
Hi all, I'm new to BYC and fairly new to quail keeping and hoping somebody can give me some advice.

I was given 3 quail about 4 months ago and told they were about 8 months old, 2 girls and 1 boy. They all seemed affectionate and very happy until a couple of weeks ago 1 of the girls attacked the other for no reason and injured her quite badly. I separated her because she was so badly hurt and the other wouldn't leave her alone, nursed her back to health and she is now healed, although I'm unsure if she's been blinded in one eye.
I'm very concerned about putting her back in with the other quail and she has been very erratic and noisy. Her egg laying is also very odd. She lays 2 at once every 5 days or so, very weak shells and not her normal colour.
She's eating well, and seems otherwise in very good condition.
She is currently in with cockatiels, so she's not on her own completely. I'm debating the option of getting her another couple of quail to keep her company but don't know if this will fix the issue or create further issues if they don't get on. . I don't want her to suffer but I don't have the room to add another quail hutch if the new ones fight too. .

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all!
smile.png

Welcome to BYC!

I don't personally have quail, but I hope I can help.

First off, what species are they? Some species can be more aggressive than others.

They're all coturnix quail, and up to this point have been happy and snuggle together overnight with no problems. They're fine with us as well, a little skittish at times, but they've never shown any kind of aggression at all until this!
Thank so much for replying, I'm really quite worried about the injured quails well-being. :(

No worries - thanks anyway!
smile.png
I would find another hen that does get along with her and keep her separated permanently. Quail have their likes and dislikes within the flock. If she is the lowest in the order, sometimes their being docile is enough for others to turn on them.

Also, give her an over all exam to make sure she is healthy. Flock mates can tell when one is sick in some way and they try to run them off.

If you suspect worms or any respiratory ailments you might treat her for these as well.

Good luck and I hope you can find a suitable situation for her! :)

Thanks, that's good advice! She's had a good check, and I can't see anything further wrong with her except the bizarre laying habits, which I suspect are due to the trauma and stress. I might try a vet and see if they can diagnose her with anything before I put her with another hen then.
I don't know if their previous owner wormed them, I was warned away from commercial worming products by a breeder I asked to who told me quail very rarely needed worming and he never bothered. I have to admit to being dubious about that, but I didn't want to risk hurting them by giving them medicine they don't need.

Really appreciate the advice though - thanks!
smile.png

You can give her hot red pepper for worms. Also allow her some crushed oyster shells & pump up her protein. You can put her back with the others but bring them to her instead of pitting her in the cage they are already in. You need more females. She may have been rode to hard by the male & hurt. Once hurt the others will attack her.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip on the peppers!
smile.png

Both girls have access to oyster shell, and they're on a food with a good protein level - and as many bugs are silly enough to crawl into their enclosure!
I did wonder about the ratio, but when we got them the previous owner said they were the sweetest trio to each other and there had never been any problems. Up to now they really have been sweet together.
They sit outside my office and I can see them for most of the day and I don't think I have once seen the male mount the injured one. He actually doesn't appear too interested in the female he's with now either, and they've always had plenty of hiding places.
My concern about getting new hens would be that they don't get on and fight and then I have absolutely nowhere to put the new quails! I have heard that introducing new stock can lead to massive problems with serious injuries. .

Yes you do have to be careful when introducing new quail. Can the single hen see the other two quail? That may be enough for her. If she seems content in her enclosure you might not want to put others with her. If she acts frantic to get to the other quail and won't settle you may need to get her a companion or several.

When I introduce new quail to each other I cage them close enough that they can easily see their intended covey for a couple of weeks, then put them in a cage or enclosure that is new to all of them so no one has home court advantage. Watch them carefully to make sure no one is getting bullied. Lots of hiding places helps, as well as multiple feeding stations. After a week or so you can always put them back into a former cage or enclosure which by then will become "new" territory for the quail.

With regards to worms, if your quail have access to the ground you will need to worm them once a year. If they are up on wire or indoors they shouldn't be exposed to the worms' eggs so no need to worm them.

Back
Top Bottom