Please help with racoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I Have had a raccoon problem for about 2 years now. We didn't know it was a coon until it got our second bird. It has gotten a mix of ducks and chickens. We almost got it last Friday and it growled at me as it ran past me. I am getting very frustrated because of all the birds that I have lost and all the nights that I have spent up very late trying to get it. This raccoon is over 60 pounds so it is freaking huge and my neighbor got a video of it and it looked pregnant or nursing so that's not good. The whole point of me trying to kill it is so I don't have to go out every night and morning and lock and unlock the coop so the chickens and ducks can come and go freely and so I won't lose any more birds. I have tried normal cage traps, I believe a double ended trap, and a tubular trap that you place food in the back of and his hand trips a lever and his arm is stuck high up so he can't chew it off. I have tried everything except poison and sitting out there with a gun. My dad did hit it with a pellet gun last year and we had a terrible winter with it being zero or lower almost all the time but that still didn't get rid of it. We live in the city so we can't really discharge a firearm. any help would be very much appreciated.

Buy a live trap and set it with food in it. After you catch this raccoon, you can continue to use the trap, because other predators will come along. A predator will go for the easy meal and get trapped, hopefully, before it goes after your chickens.

But allowing your birds to come and go freely at night is taking a big risk. There is a good chance a predator, such as a dog, raccoon, or whatever, will kill your chickens and ducks. That is why people lock their chickens in a coop at night.

Buy a live trap and set it with food in it. After you catch this raccoon, you can continue to use the trap, because other predators will come along. A predator will go for the easy meal and get trapped, hopefully, before it goes after your chickens.

But allowing your birds to come and go freely at night is taking a big risk. There is a good chance a predator, such as a dog, raccoon, or whatever, will kill your chickens and ducks. That is why people lock their chickens in a coop at night.
X2
almquist-august-billboard-300x189.gif

We lost half the flock to a huge raccoon this June and early July. One ripped and chewed the siding off a coop (screwed on even) to get in. It was awful. I got to where I worried all the time about the chickens.

Two Great Pyrenees solved the issue, along with trapping. Since yours won't go in a trap, perhaps an LGD or two will deter the monster. A coon has come around just once since they arrived. Haven't seen a coon or fox since.

I used marshmallows and cat food in the trap. Cat food might not be a great idea if you could possibly trap stray or feral cats.

My husband and I are avid trappers, if we wana catch coons in our live trap we use tuna/sardines as bait, it has never failed us!! If that coon is as big as you think it is, your cage needs to be big,and set the bait directly in the middle of the back of the cage or hang, bc if they can reach in from the sides to get it, they wont go inside it..good luck!!

A coyote size cage trap can catch you some large coons, sometimes two at a time. Something at least 48" long and 26" high works well. Any fish or cat food will attract them. Some people like the dog proof raccoon traps. Coons are bandits with masks that rarely eat much of what they kill when it comes to poultry. Keep the population under control and get a coon skin cap all at once.

A coyote size cage trap can catch you some large coons, sometimes two at a time. Something at least 48" long and 26" high works well. Any fish or cat food will attract them. Some people like the dog proof raccoon traps. Coons are bandits with masks that rarely eat much of what they kill when it comes to poultry. Keep the population under control and get a coon skin cap all at once.

Don't buy the one at tractor supply it is a piece of junk, my dog got out of it, so did the bobcat and a coon would have no problem as strong as they are.
the smaller traps work well though.. just wanted to mention this because I have one sitting in my barn, great for catching and holding chickens
big_smile.png

Don't buy the one at tractor supply it is a piece of junk, my dog got out of it, so did the bobcat and a coon would have no problem as strong as they are.
the smaller traps work well though.. just wanted to mention this because I have one sitting in my barn, great for catching and holding chickens
big_smile.png
I don't shop there. I have an old Miller and an older one that's even sturdier. Never had them broken out of. There are some good traps here:
http://www.nwtrappers.com/catalog/products.asp?cat=27

I bought the largest one from Tractor Supply - have caught 3 coons so far. I 'rehomed' the first one but had a heck of a time opening the trap without getting bit or scratched. Caged racoons are nasty !!

The last two were put down with the .22. I thought it was safer and also have found out it's illegal to relocate wildlife.

I tore up a hotdog as bait and it worked fine - I put a few under the trip plate so they have to mess with it to get at the bait.

I use a live trap because there are to many cats and dogs around here. So far have only caught coons.

The TS trap - I bought the large one on sale for about $24 - is ok, but kind of cheap. I found a little bending of the trip hooks with pliers made it trip a little more easily. I've seen lots better ones online for around $50. I wasn't sure the whole thing would work so this was an experiment that worked out ok.

In hindsight, I should have bought the better trap but this one is doing the job.

Racoons are just vermin...they are like wasps and ground hornets ...don't do anything good for the environment ...I'm not fond of hawks either but at least they eat mice and snakes.

Raccoons are destructive, murderous bandits that even wear masks. They rarely eat much of what they dismember. It is not a good idea to relocate them, not just because of legalities, but also because it is likely more cruel. Males are very territorial and will kill other males that are relocated. A quick kill is more humane, in addition to the benefit of fur. These people who can't think outside their suburban/urban home who think it is cute to feed them, or leave cat food and dog food outside, add insult to injury. Coons have few predators, populate quickly, and do lots of damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom