Please help!

Looks like impaction...catch the duck, open the mandibles, and clean out under the tongue....flush with water.

Clint

Have you ever needed to open a duck's bill? Gently squeeze the corners near the feathers, at the base of the bill.

Please let us know what you see, or if you don't feel you can do this.

I would also consider - since it's warm, may be infected - either oral antibiotics or slather triple antibiotic ointment (not the kind with pain reliever, that is toxic to ducks) around the base of the bill.

I would put some apple cider vinegar in her water (if her regular water dish is galvanized metal or aluminum, switch to stainless steel or plastic so metal won't leach). I would go with a teaspoon per half gallon for a few days and see if that seems to help.

I cant see anything out of the ordinary. Its hard because I dont know what I am looking for And she is adamant that I keep the heck out. I see healthy tounge and no food (she is fed crumbles) along with free ranging. I filled water jug with electrolytes before I saw your posts. I did put ointment around her bill as you suggested. They have plastic waterer so I will fill it tomorrow with apple cider vinegar and water mix unless tou guys think I should do vinegar tonight instead. Thank you guys again. I hate seeing her tucked up by herself.

Look into some oral antibiotics especially if the apple cider vinegar and ointment doesn't seem to help in a couple of days. I would spread the ointment along the underside of her bill, too. There is some softer tissue under there and it may soak in a bit more.

Thank you for your help. Her swelling is slowly diminishing. She is happy as a clam and officially back into her matriarch status :)

I will guess she got stung.

So so so glad for the report. Please keep us updated.

And now that the crisis seems to have passed,
th.gif

So curley has an appointment tomorrow to see the vet. Her swelling had gone down but has returned slightly. Now she has a pea sized hard lump. Im hoping for the best.

Back
Top Bottom