Please help

If she is taking fluids from you and eating on her own then I wouldn't go down the tube feeding route for the moment, especially if you don't feel confident about it. There is no point in forcing something that may not be necessary.

Not that I disagree with Kathy - her advice is excellent, and well worth listening to. She has a wealth of hands-on experience that means she really knows what she is talking about, but if your girl is continuing to eat and drink enough (if Kathy says 90ml of fluids per kilo / 2.2 pounds per day then that is what you should be aiming for) with or without your help, then that should enough, without having to do anything more invasive.

However, should your girl stop taking fluids and you feel that tube feeding her is the only option left then follow Kathy's instructions and you shouldn't go wrong.

Don't forget that although fluids are more important than food, a wet mash or other wet foods are providing both things at once - hydration and nutrition, so as long as she will eat, don't try and force pure liquid on her.

Have you seen any results from the wormer you used? Any other developments or ideas about what she may be suffering from? Are there any new symptoms, or has she improved in any way? Any info that you can add can only help us to help you.

Whatever is wrong with her, I wish you all the best for you and your girl - keep us updated.

@KayTee is right, if you're somehow safely getting the proper amount of fluids into her *and* she is not losing weight there is no reason to tube. I was under the impression that she was not drinking on her own at that you were going to give her 1ml an hour. At 17 weeks the average regular sized chicken should weigh about 1250 gram (1.25kg or 2.75 pounds), so 1ml and hour is not nearly enough.

-Kathy

Right now I have mixed her food with some water so she can get fluids that way as well. I do see a little improvement from when I first brought her inside, but not much. Her comb is a little pinker today, she is standing and will take a few steps. Her tail is still drooped and she is still very tired. Her droppings are still normal. Once I find my scale I will weigh her to make sure she doesn't loose weight.

Ok I just weighed her and she is 546grams. She has always been on the small side compared to my other girls. I will weigh her again tomorrow. For the past couple of hours I have been giving her 5-10 ml plus the water in her food.

Ok I just weighed her and she is 546grams. She has always been on the small side compared to my other girls. I will weigh her again tomorrow. For the past couple of hours I have been giving her 5-10 ml plus the water in her food.
How thin does she feel?

-Kathy

She feels lighter than she use to, but not really thin to me from how she was before she got sick. I also did switch her to a high protein diet today, not sure if I posted that already. I will be keeping her on that for awhile.

Well last night Turbo seemed to be doing great she was up walking a little and even tried to jump out of her crate I had her in. She was eating and taking the liquids I gave her, but when I got up this morning she was gone. :( I am not sure what happened, maybe it was just too late. Is there any where that I could take her that would tell me why she passed? I do not know of a vet for chickens in my area. I live a little south of Tampa, Florida.

I'm sorry for your loss Shetazzie. It's hard to lose a bird, especially when you've tried so hard to save them. At least you know that you did everything that you could for her - you can't ask for more than that.

I hope someone can give you an idea of how to prepare her and where to send her for a necropsy - if you do send her somewhere then please update the thread to let us know what the results are, as the information may help someone else in the future.

Back
Top Bottom