Please identify otential rooster behavior!

suburbchick

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2015
I have never had a rooster. I am getting suspicious about my silkie bantam that was ordered as a female. My son named her "Bob" (I know, I know....typical boy) and she is bigger than the others and a maniac! She tears around all the time and flies at the others with her feet out at them. She herds them to wear she wants them to go. She constantly dominates everyone by stepping on their backs. She is the most alert chick we have. They are 6 weeks old. What do you think?

A picture would help us help you identify gender but his/her behavior sounds rooish to me. But a hen can be dominate/alpha also.

A picture *might* help us identify your Silkies gender. Theyre one of the hardest breeds to sex.
But, just a side note, I do see that type of behavior in my young Silkies, both cockerels and pullets.
Some things to look out for as far as boy indicators:
-swept back crests.
-larger size (usually indicates a boy, but not always).
-wide or large combs, my cockerels typically have wider, larger combs and theyre easier to judge when you've got other Silkies to compare to.

I don't try to guess gender based on behavior, pullets work out their place in the pecking order too. They square of and kick just as much as the cockerels.

Anyway, good luck trying to figure it out!

Thank you all for responses. Right now, she looks gender neutral at 6 weeks. But, she is significantly a bit larger than the others. At what age do they start crowing? Thank you in advance!

I added photos.....she towers over everyone. She's always trying to jump on their backs. I'm not sure if she is a Roo or a dominant hen chick. Any other thoughts?

Last edited:
Posted more photos...she is very brave and whenever sees the dog leaves the other chicks to face off against the dog! Dominant hen or Roo?

Last edited:
That's a lot of comb for a six week old chick. I'm pretty sure that's a cockerel. And I can't usually tell with silkies. The Easter Eggers are definitely pullets. If the others are Welsummers, they look like pullets too.

Argh. Huge bummer. Thank you very much for helping to identify!

If anyone lives in Massachusetts and would give a wonderful, loving home to a 7 week old silkie rooster please let me know!!!

Just one more question....is the behavior I described only Roo behavior or could a dominant 7 week old hen have the same behavior? The behavior I mean is.....facing off against predators instead of retreating; flying at the other chicks with their feet first; facing off against other chicks and raising up/ flapping wings/ puffing up/ and pecking and chasing others; trying to peck and jump on backs of chicks. Tearing around constantly keping an eye on things while others quietly scratch around ground. All Roo only behavior or maybe dominant hen chick?

Back
Top Bottom