Please pass the Q-tips

MoJoe87

In the Brooder
Oct 20, 2023
North Carolina
Please help my spangled Henny rooster has some kind of ear infection ,and it keep draining out and drying up around his ear flaps . It really doesn't seem to bother him other than a lack of energy, and clogged crusty ear holes. Chopper is a good boy and I really want to get him back to his spunky self ASAP .does anyone have any idea why this would be happening and any possible treatments for it. As always thanks for the helpful information in advance.

Could you post some pictures? Antibiotics may be needed if there is a bacteria in the ears. However ear mites or a fungus could be a cause. I would put a few drops of hydrogen peroxide into the ear canals one at a time, and then massage it. Then take a QTip and clean it out. Is there an odor or build up of pus in the ear?

Please help my spangled Henny rooster has some kind of ear infection ,and it keep draining out and drying up around his ear flaps . It really doesn't seem to bother him other than a lack of energy, and clogged crusty ear holes. Chopper is a good boy and I really want to get him back to his spunky self ASAP .does anyone have any idea why this would be happening and any possible treatments for it. As always thanks for the helpful information in advance.
Do you have photos?

You may find these thread helpful:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-earlobe-looks-similar-to-bumblefoot.1596281/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/both-ears-have-infection.1579065/

Could you post some pictures? Antibiotics may be needed if there is a bacteria in the ears. However ear mites or a fungus could be a cause. I would put a few drops of hydrogen peroxide into the ear canals one at a time, and then massage it. Then take a QTip and clean it out. Is there an odor or build up of pus in the ear?
I'm not sure yet I am relatively new to the flock life and didn't think to open the ear up some so I just cleaned up the outside of the ear where the waxy crust was however i will add some pics and more info tomorrow

I'm not sure yet I am relatively new to the flock life and didn't think to open the ear up some so I just cleaned up the outside of the ear where the waxy crust was however i will add some pics and more info tomorrow.

I forgot to add that plain Neosporin ointment can be applied to the ear canal to smother ear mites or treat infection.
Yes I'm so happy it is working. thanks so much for all the help and info I used poroxcide and just a drop or two in each ear after checking behind the ear feathers there was no puss or oder however they did boil out a Lil bit with the foam. I then checked the roof of he's mouth for infection and there was none I finished up with the patrolium jelly around his ears and finally some freash herps he seems to feel way better and he isn't acting like he's dizzy any more he's even more active now as well however after all this he was not in a very good mood so no pics yet but i promise I will post some soon

Back
Top Bottom