Please please help my chickens have worms!!! I don’t know what it is or what I should do!

You just need to use one or the other. Rotating wormers makes sense, though so the worms don’t develop resistance. There is a small amount of wormer that is found in the egg, so if you don’t want to eat that you should use a 14 day egg withdrawal after using either one. Some people have been known to ignore that, but don’t share or sell eggs during the withdrawal time. Albendazole, the ingredient in Valbazen, is used in humans to treat worms as well.

my chickens like the taste of the valbazen so I put it on a little bit of bread, and they gobbled it up.
With safeguard i just use the paste and just pull down on the wattles and syringe it into their beak and they swallow it no problem

You just need to use one or the other. Rotating wormers makes sense, though so the worms don’t develop resistance. There is a small amount of wormer that is found in the egg, so if you don’t want to eat that you should use a 14 day egg withdrawal after using either one. Some people have been known to ignore that, but don’t share or sell eggs during the withdrawal time. Albendazole, the ingredient in Valbazen, is used in humans to treat worms as well.
Ok thanks if I was treating the whole flock how much? And what can I put it in? The food or water or plain?

If you are getting both Valbazen and Safeguard, then I would use the Valbazen. They both work well, but the Valbazen dose is a smaller amount, making it a little easier, and you can do two doses 10 days apart for everything except tapeworm. It's just a little easier. You can't mix it in water (either one) it will settle out. You need an oral syringe, any pharmacy should have, just ask, or you can get down to 3 ml ones and tractor supply stores. Lock them in the coop at dark, go out before first light and take them off the roosts one at a time and dose them. Pull down on the wattles, gently administer the meds to the front of the beak, and let them swallow. Don't squirt it in with force, you don't want them to aspirate it. Once dosed, put them in the run, when the coop is empty you've done them all. If any freak out about being held, wrap them in a towel like a burrito to hold their wings. Make sure you shake the wormer up well before drawing a dose, it settles out. You will be in the dark, so a lantern or headlamp you wear is easier than a flashlight, so your hands are free to work. If you have another set of hands to help, that's even easier, one to hold and one to dose, but I do it by myself all the time, it gets easier with practice.

If you are getting both Valbazen and Safeguard, then I would use the Valbazen. They both work well, but the Valbazen dose is a smaller amount, making it a little easier, and you can do two doses 10 days apart for everything except tapeworm. It's just a little easier. You can't mix it in water (either one) it will settle out. You need an oral syringe, any pharmacy should have, just ask, or you can get down to 3 ml ones and tractor supply stores. Lock them in the coop at dark, go out before first light and take them off the roosts one at a time and dose them. Pull down on the wattles, gently administer the meds to the front of the beak, and let them swallow. Don't squirt it in with force, you don't want them to aspirate it. Once dosed, put them in the run, when the coop is empty you've done them all. If any freak out about being held, wrap them in a towel like a burrito to hold their wings. Make sure you shake the wormer up well before drawing a dose, it settles out. You will be in the dark, so a lantern or headlamp you wear is easier than a flashlight, so your hands are free to work. If you have another set of hands to help, that's even easier, one to hold and one to dose, but I do it by myself all the time, it gets easier with practice.
Ok got the safeguard but it looks I bought another medicine that’s not Valbazen. Can this one work too? I can try to do that except I have two roosters that I am a bit nervous to do. The one will probably be fine the other will probably fight it. How would I give this Verm-X? And should I use this one or the safeguard? Thanks so much for everything! I wouldn’t know what to do without you guys!!!

Attachments

• 079F0D72-C70B-4655-B561-E138F270C488.jpeg
    079F0D72-C70B-4655-B561-E138F270C488.jpeg
    248.1 KB · Views: 10
my chickens like the taste of the valbazen so I put it on a little bit of bread, and they gobbled it up.
With safeguard i just use the paste and just pull down on the wattles and syringe it into their beak and they swallow it no problem
So I could give them the medicine on a little bit of bread? So would I just let one hen out at a time and give her the bread then put her back in and take the next one out? I also have two roosters would this work for them as well?

Back
Top Bottom