Please please help my chickens have worms!!! I don’t know what it is or what I should do!

I'm going to respectfully disagree. This is a very inaccurate way to worm. If you see the instructions for turkeys on the back, you have to mix a pound of this into 312 lbs of feed and that's the only feed they get for 6 days straight. It's very hard to do this for chickens and know that they take in the correct dose. Sometimes birds with parasites don't feel well, don't eat well, and they will not take in enough. There is a reason this isn't labeled for chickens. Underdosing can eventually lead to medication resistant parasites. You would be far better off getting the Safeguard liquid goat wormer, the Safeguard horse paste, the Valbazen liquid, and orally dosing each bird correctly, orally. Then you know for a fact they each got the correct, and effective, dose. If you get the goat or horse wormer, you will dose them orally 5 days in a row. If you get the Valbazen you can do two doses 10 days apart. I would use one of those.

I'm going to respectfully disagree. This is a very inaccurate way to worm. If you see the instructions for turkeys on the back, you have to mix a pound of this into 312 lbs of feed and that's the only feed they get for 6 days straight. It's very hard to do this for chickens and know that they take in the correct dose. Sometimes birds with parasites don't feel well, don't eat well, and they will not take in enough. There is a reason this isn't labeled for chickens. Underdosing can eventually lead to medication resistant parasites. You would be far better off getting the Safeguard liquid goat wormer, the Safeguard horse paste, the Valbazen liquid, and orally dosing each bird correctly, orally. Then you know for a fact they each got the correct, and effective, dose. If you get the goat or horse wormer, you will dose them orally 5 days in a row. If you get the Valbazen you can do two doses 10 days apart. I would use one of those.
Ok I have the liquid safe guard for goats coming. They are acting fine not sick and this wouldn’t hurt them if they didn’t have worms right? How much do I give each chicken? Could I let one chicken out at a time and give them the medicine on a small price of bread? I can tell all my birds apart so it wouldn’t be hard.

I went outside gave my chickens some treats and watched them happily scratch around when my one chicken had a foamy yellow poop I looked closer at it and saw worms in it! I have this stuff is it okay to use?View attachment 3646634
My vet will check my chicken’s stool samples for me. I’ve never had worms, yet, but the vet can prescribe the appropriate dewormer, dose, and egg withdrawal period.

Dosage of Valbazen is 1/2 ml for a standard size chicken given orally once, and repeated in 10-14 days. That treats most chicken worms except the more rare tapeworms. SafeGuard dosage is 1/4 ml per pound given orally for 5 consecutive days. You can give it once and then repeat in 10 days for roundworms only.
It's better to use an oral syringe, to make sure they get it all. You can get them at any pharmacy, just ask, or most feed stores carry them in various sizes. It's not really very difficult, I do 30 birds every 3 months, takes me about 45 minutes, sometimes faster if they are all cooperative. Depending on how many birds you have, it will take less or more time. When you only have to do the two doses 10 days apart, it's easy to divide them in groups and stagger days, but doing the doses 5 days in a row, it's just easier to do them all at once. I lock mine in the coop at dark and go out early the next morning and take them off the roost one at a time and dose (if you need to get a weight an inexpensive digital kitchen scale works well), put the dosed one in the run, and go get the next one off the roost. When the coop is empty, you've gotten them all. If any don't like being held, wrap them in a bath towel like a burrito to help hold their wings.

It's better to use an oral syringe, to make sure they get it all. You can get them at any pharmacy, just ask, or most feed stores carry them in various sizes. It's not really very difficult, I do 30 birds every 3 months, takes me about 45 minutes, sometimes faster if they are all cooperative. Depending on how many birds you have, it will take less or more time. When you only have to do the two doses 10 days apart, it's easy to divide them in groups and stagger days, but doing the doses 5 days in a row, it's just easier to do them all at once. I lock mine in the coop at dark and go out early the next morning and take them off the roost one at a time and dose (if you need to get a weight an inexpensive digital kitchen scale works well), put the dosed one in the run, and go get the next one off the roost. When the coop is empty, you've gotten them all. If any don't like being held, wrap them in a bath towel like a burrito to help hold their wings.
So I need to weigh them? I have two roosters who I haven’t held since they were 13 weeks! One will be fine the other well I might get some bruises. Are you sure the bread won’t work? I will do what I need to but I’m a little worried about messing up and getting their mouths open and how fast and everything I really don’t want to hurt them. And I have to do this five days in a row? For each chicken? Once again is there something else I can do my chickens are very greedy I’m sure they would gobble the bread up. And I have 12 chickens

If you take him off the roost in the dark, they are usually calmer. Wrap him up in the towel snuggly so he can't flap and kick you. Pull down on the wattles and the beak will open. Dispense the dose 0.5 ml at a time and let him swallow. Repeat until the entire dose is given. It gets easier with practice, and is really not difficult. I have some birds that absolutely hate being handled, I still get them done without much fuss. Including some pretty large roo's. I also use the opportunity to give each of them a quick health check, bottoms of feet for any bumblefoot, trim nails or spurs if needed, quick check for mite/lice, body condition. And, yes, in order to dose correctly, you need to know how much they weigh. With practice you get pretty good at estimating weight. It only takes a second to weigh them. Get all your stuff set up before you start so everything is there and laid out, then you can concentrate on just dosing the birds.

Back
Top Bottom