Please please help my chickens have worms!!! I don’t know what it is or what I should do!

If you take him off the roost in the dark, they are usually calmer. Wrap him up in the towel snuggly so he can't flap and kick you. Pull down on the wattles and the beak will open. Dispense the dose 0.5 ml at a time and let him swallow. Repeat until the entire dose is given. It gets easier with practice, and is really not difficult. I have some birds that absolutely hate being handled, I still get them done without much fuss. Including some pretty large roo's. I also use the opportunity to give each of them a quick health check, bottoms of feet for any bumblefoot, trim nails or spurs if needed, quick check for mite/lice, body condition. And, yes, in order to dose correctly, you need to know how much they weigh. With practice you get pretty good at estimating weight. It only takes a second to weigh them. Get all your stuff set up before you start so everything is there and laid out, then you can concentrate on just dosing the birds.
I only have a small kitchen scale all though it will be fun to see how much they weigh how much is the dose? And will my chickens hate me after this? They are my pets and I hate to make them mad or upset! And are you sure mine will open their mouth some can be stubborn! Thanks I will try my best I just really need to know how much to give them

Wait what? How much do I give them each day? And will I still feed them their regular food? Besides my questions I’m glad this will work!!!
Feed them the medicated feed once per day. If you feed them more than once per day, give them regular feed.

I would give them the medicated feed first thing in the morning. They will absorb the medicine better in the morning when their digestive systems are empty.

Give them the same amount of medicated feed as you do regular feed. Make sure everyone eats it.

If you take him off the roost in the dark, they are usually calmer. Wrap him up in the towel snuggly so he can't flap and kick you. Pull down on the wattles and the beak will open. Dispense the dose 0.5 ml at a time and let him swallow. Repeat until the entire dose is given. It gets easier with practice, and is really not difficult. I have some birds that absolutely hate being handled, I still get them done without much fuss. Including some pretty large roo's. I also use the opportunity to give each of them a quick health check, bottoms of feet for any bumblefoot, trim nails or spurs if needed, quick check for mite/lice, body condition. And, yes, in order to dose correctly, you need to know how much they weigh. With practice you get pretty good at estimating weight. It only takes a second to weigh them. Get all your stuff set up before you start so everything is there and laid out, then you can concentrate on just dosing the birds.
Yes, @Farmgirl283420 I agree with @coach723 here. It's good that you have the medicated feed to make this easy, but it's still a really good idea to get used to handling your birds not just to administer medicine but also to check for mites, lice etc, crop checks, and feet for any scabs that could lead to bumblefoot. I think it's really important to check them all over at least once a month so problems like parasites or bumblefoot can be caught before they get too serious.

I have two roosters as well and if I get them at night, they are actually quite docile about being checked.
My senior male Lucio is quite formidable-looking but absolutely loves being preened. Just hold each chicken securely under one arm like a football with the wings tucked in between your body and the crook of your arm. Stroke their cheeks and waddles gently to calm them. My birds are free rangers and very independent, but I still make it a point to handle them so I can help them if they need it.

I only have a small kitchen scale all though it will be fun to see how much they weigh how much is the dose? And will my chickens hate me after this? They are my pets and I hate to make them mad or upset! And are you sure mine will open their mouth some can be stubborn! Thanks I will try my best I just really need to know how much to give them
The first time is the hardest. They do get more used to it and you will get better at it in time too.

If I'm administering a liquid suspension Albendazol (brand Valbazen), I'll give .5ml to my birds weighing 4 - 6 bs (hens and junior cockerels) and .8ml to my bigger roo.

We give our hens Worminator twice a year. It's a wonderful product in eyedropper formula. Highly recommend. Get it online. Not a scary chemical worm product like most out there. It has always worked. If you can order it, give it to all of them asap.

We give our hens Worminator twice a year. It's a wonderful product in eyedropper formula. Highly recommend. Get it online. Not a scary chemical worm product like most out there. It has always worked. If you can order it, give it to all of them asap.
Worminator is a chemical wormer and not scary; neither are Safeguard, Valbazen, Levamisole, Piperazine, Praziquantel, and Ivermectin. I've used them all in my birds at one time or another over the years, including Pyrantel Pamoate.
I prefer Valbazen over the others.

I would get some Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer, or the SafeGuard Equine Paste to worm your chickens. Those are safe and proven wormers. Dosage of Valbazen is 1/2 ml for a standard size chicken given orally once, and repeated in 10-14 days. That treats most chicken worms except the more rare tapeworms. SafeGuard dosage is 1/4 ml per pound given orally for 5 consecutive days. You can give it once and then repeat in 10 days for roundworms only. It helps to see pictures of worms.
I don't know about worms in chickens - yet. IVERMECTIN is used on horses and other animals as a de-wormer Maybe just calculate the weight? This is what I plan on doing for mine, should that problem arise. I've used it on my dogs, and MYSELF, for colds, and other problems. Some people, even on here, say that it is not an overall medicine. I beg to differ, but then, that's my opinion.

I don't know about worms in chickens - yet. IVERMECTIN is used on horses and other animals as a de-wormer Maybe just calculate the weight? This is what I plan on doing for mine, should that problem arise. I've used it on my dogs, and MYSELF, for colds, and other problems. Some people, even on here, say that it is not an overall medicine. I beg to differ, but then, that's my opinion.
Birds (chickens) are a different ball game than mammals.
I used to use Ivermectin years ago in my chickens. It has lost its effectiveness as a wormer in chickens due to its overuse treating mites in poultry when its main purpose is a wormer. I found that out after seeing a couple of large roundworms in feces a couple of weeks after using Ivermectin.
Valbazen and Safeguard are Benzimidazoles. They are safe and very effective wormers in poultry. Valbazen is my go to wormer.

Do you have a bathroom scale? Take it outside, weigh yourself, then weigh each bird as you hold them. Subtract your weight, viola!

Back
Top Bottom