Please recommend a rainproof feeder that can handle 50lb bags (or, 2 x 25)... But also works for 50 chicken.

affacat

Crowing
12 Years
May 21, 2011
Oregon (Northwest, Clackamas County)
So I'm reconfiguring my feed station based on advice here because we're not getting enough eggs. I'd like to switch to a 'free feed' solution based on the advice of others here.

We live in a rainy climate. So I'm looking for a combination of rainproof, low mess (rat prevention), and enough feed ports to keep 50 chickens happy. I also need it to support an entire bag of feed at a time.

Ground based is probably best for me, I will put it on some cinder blocks if necessary.

I'm probably going to buy 2. Or, if recommended, 4 x 25 lb versions.

I've seen multiple models online (galvanized rectangles, plastic contraptions, etc) but would really like to hear from people who love a specific style.

I'd like to spend under $200 total. Well, I'd like to spend zero, but we can't have everything. I don't mind buying multiple units if recommended. I would prefer made in the USA, or, if that's not possible, at least the original designer and not a knockoff. Willing to pay more for that. I realize I could DIY something and normally would, but I have too many projects right now and I need this solved.

A lot of these 50 lb feeders don't have many ports so I'm not sure if two are right for a 50 chicken operation. That's why it might be better to get multiple 25 lbs.

Tldr-

Rainproof
One or two full feedbags at a time
Sits on ground
Enough ports to keep 50 chickens happy
2x50 or 4x25 preferred, under 200 if possible

Some of the styles I am considering:

d1545745c55a46a7569c8ab8d460917d.w1500.h1500._CR0,0,1500,1500_SX750_SY750_.jpg

31l-x9lHHbL._AC_SY580_.jpg

31GUcia7qZL._AC_SY780_.jpg

I'm in your climate and my best solution has not been to buy expensive feeders that have to attach to anything, it's been to buy canopy's! I have 3 now, different types. The BBQ grill canopy, mosquito net sides wedding type and the easy up, pop up type. They were each not more than $100. I have galvanized garbage cans that I put feed bowls in at night for Rat prevention. My feed bowls are good ole black rubber horse feed bowls. Just an idea for you.

That's what I have now, basically. But if I'm going to switch to free feed I need to keep it safe from other livestock. And if it's safe from other livestock it's got to be in a harder to access area, so at that point I'd prefer to take in two 50 lb bag and forget about it for a few days.

I deal with our setup now in the morning and at night but I can only feed them when I go out there. Free feed would not be a possibility there because our sheep and alpaca would gorge themselves

Thanks for the good word RojoMarz. We have an Extra Large feeder, holds 63 pounds but you idea of having several feeders is valid. The Medium feeder is made in the U.S. and holds 33 pounds of feed, two would cost $170.00 plus shipping, buy the two pack to save on shipping.

Or three small feeders, Philippines made, $65 each, just under your budget and there is a three pack to save shipping costs. They all do fine in normal rain. Three would hold 36 pounds total.

Chickens have an established pecking order so they do okay with two or three feeders. Not optimum but workable. The main thing is the time between refills. 50 chickens will eat 12.5 pounds of feed per day assuming they are your average laying hens. Refill the small feeders in three days, five days for two medium feeders.

Oh, I like that model, @Al Gerhart

But didn't see that last recommendation until after I ordered these:

https://duncanspoultry.com/duncans-poultry-55-lb-2-sided-feeder/

They aren't rat or completely rainproof, but work wonderfully and are also made in the USA. I like that they are intentionally oversized at 55 lb should take a full bag even if there's a little bit at the bottom. I will tarp over them to keep rain completely out.

We've only had them a few days but the chickens seem happier, so that's good. I'm hoping our egg production goes up to something sane.

They aren't rat or completely rainproof, but work wonderfully and are also made in the USA. I like that they are intentionally oversized at 55 lb should take a full bag even if there's a little bit at the bottom. I will tarp over them to keep rain completely out.

We've only had them a few days but the chickens seem happier, so that's good. I'm hoping our egg production goes up to something sane.
Could your egg production not be down to the shortening days, winter?

That is an inexpensive solution to storing a sack of feed! A lot of people go for years without any rodent issues and if a flock owner practices the other sanitation and exclusion methods that Howard E's posts lay out they might never have a rodent issue.

If you ever do need a treadle feeder England has several manufacturers that make a feeder similar to our feeder so dig around online before trying to import one or settling for what Amazon has to offer.

How old are the hens? Are you feeding a commercial laying pellet or crumble? Supplementing it with anything significant?

18 of our chickens were from this spring (5 are roosters).

15 are from last year.

12 are older than that, mixed years.

2 older roosters (so 37 hens, 7 roosters but they dont really squabble).

We feed them layer pellets. We were using a Purina mix for a bit, then switched to a local mill's custom layer mix.

The last time we used to get a lot of eggs was early summer. Then it dried up for awhile and we blamed having 8 broodies at the same time... but the egg supply never returned and weve been getting about 3 eggs a day since maybe late July or August.

Back
Top Bottom