Please sex these two.

Both are cockerels
😔. Figures. It’s the first time I’ve ever let my hen lay and the result was 2 healthy chicks - out of 7 eggs - and they both turn out to be boys. Ha!
Thank you for responding 🐓 even though it was not the answer I was hoping for. Guess I’ll let the next hen lay & see if I can change the outcome 🙂

For 7 weeks old, those big red combs and wattles say those are cockerels without a doubt.

they're too young for male or female specific feathering, like the hackles and saddles, but a good indicator of sex at this age is the size and color of combs and wattles.
I just learned something new - I didn’t realize that color was on an indicator- cool! Thank you ! And thank you for taking the time to teach 🐓
Just FYA, gender specific feathering doesn't generally start to come in until around 15 weeks of age.
ah, I hadn’t realized that. Thank you!

2 little boys, good luck next time

First time one one of my girls went broody I got 4 boys and one girl. One replaced his dad and 3 went in the pot.

I just learned something new - I didn’t realize that color was on an indicator- cool! Thank you ! And thank you for taking the time to teach 🐓
Basically, any chick that gets a big red comb by around 8-12 weeks is a cockerel, sometimes earlier. Pullets won't get big red combs until they're ready to lay; around 20 weeks, and sometimes later. So, early red combs means boys.

Back
Top Bottom