please suggest a breed

I just got a Cayuga! People who have owned them that I know say they are quiet and can't fly! They also say they are very friendly! So far mine barely peeps :)

I just got a Cayuga! People who have owned them that I know say they are quiet and can't fly! They also say they are very friendly! So far mine barely peeps :)

Tell that to my cayuga girl, Twist. She has to have a running commentary to everything she does.... quack quack I'm preening, quack quack I am playing with my toy... QUACK QUACK here comes my human with treats.
big_smile.png

Pekins can be held on your lap & they are full of personality!! Very smart, love music, will follow you. Your daughter would love them!!

Basically any duck can be made 'non flying' by a simple wing clip, My Muscovy hens are quite capable(we don't clip) but just don't seem to bother all that often.. when they do it's a simple flight ...not fly away.

I've actually found my Muscovy to be quite decent in the laying department, my first hens started at 4mths and pretty much have continued all the way through even in winter.. i have eggs like crazy lol

The breed is not excessively noisy, and they are wonderful foragers. The nails on the breed are quite extreme but generally i have not found it an issue(nobody has suffered any scars here but i wouldn't handle a duck without gloves.. my preference)

Really there are many great breeds, i'd just skim through the board or check out a book or two. GL in your search!

Last edited:
I have two khaki campbell ducklings that are so loud it's insane! My muscovy is the quietest animal I own :p She can't fly, has never flied, but some can. They are not amazing layers from what I've heard, but everything else about them makes up for that.

I have two khaki campbell ducklings that are so loud it's insane! My muscovy is the quietest animal I own
tongue.png
She can't fly, has never flied, but some can. They are not amazing layers from what I've heard, but everything else about them makes up for that.

Congrats on your new ducklings, guess i missed when you got them, how do they like your Muscovy and vise versa?

lol.png
Well I hope he/she doesn't turn out to be noisy :)
Tell that to my cayuga girl, Twist. She has to have a running commentary to everything she does.... quack quack I'm preening, quack quack I am playing with my toy... QUACK QUACK here comes my human with treats.
big_smile.png

There is a Cayuga mix at the lake that can fly and is very vocal. But, I think she's got a little bit of call duck in her. The male Cayuga there is a sweetie, almost totally non-vocal and extremely mellow,

My two boy cayugas are super quiet, but I happen to love my girl's constant chatter. She cracks me up.

Back
Top Bottom