Please tell me I'm wrong!

MamaInPajamas

Songster
8 Years
Jan 7, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
My girls are 4 weeks old, and I have a suspicion that 3 of the 4 are cockerels. Please tell me I'm wrong!

This is a barred rock. S/he likes to be up high and she's kind of my buddy and likes to hang out on my arm. I think she's getting a pink waddle, though.

And a buff orpington:

Silver-laced Wyandotte:

This is an EE. I'm not really worried about her, but here's a pic anyway.

Please help! I'll be sad if I have to give up any of them, but I just don't understand how 3 of 4 could be males!

It is too soon to be sure on gender.The Barred Rock, though it has pink wattles, is rather dark, which is a sign of a pullet.The Orpington's comb and wattles aren't as large as some comb/wattles of roosters at this age, but are too red to be certain that it is a pullet. Your Silver Laced Wyandotte's comb is rather red, but it appears to be narrow.

Your Easter Egger is definitely a pullet.

It is too soon to be sure on gender.The Barred Rock, though it has pink wattles, is rather dark, which is a sign of a pullet.The Orpington's comb and wattles aren't as large as some comb/wattles of roosters at this age, but are too red to be certain that it is a pullet. Your Silver Laced Wyandotte's comb is rather red, but it appears to be narrow.

x2
None of them are screaming roo at this point, and I would wait it out. Some you may not have good indication until they are around 8 to 10 weeks of age, especially with Wyandottes and Orpingtons.

Your EE is a female. That is female coloring...no worries there.

LofMc

Agreed.

OK.. I'm a little embarrassed, but I got my dates mixed up. They're actually 5.5 weeks in these pictures. They'll be 6 weeks tomorrow. Does that change your opinions?

OK.. I'm a little embarrassed, but I got my dates mixed up. They're actually 5.5 weeks in these pictures. They'll be 6 weeks tomorrow. Does that change your opinions?

Just to give you a comparison here are 3 of my chicks at the same age ( they will be 6 weeks tomorrow) and same breed as 3 of yours. I am a newbie so my opinion really isn't worth much, but just comparing them, yours look like pullets to me :)
Nugget our Buff Orp.

Rooney our Barred Rock

Elsa our EE

Barney is a roo; Elsa and Rooney look to be pullets.

And 5.5 weeks just reinforces what we said only with more certainty....nothing screaming roo...EE is a pullet for certain. For me, it indicates it is more likely your barred is going to be a pullet as typically the roo's are presenting some red in the comb by 6 weeks.

LofMc

Back
Top Bottom