Please tell me I'm wrong!

Barney is a roo; Elsa and Rooney look to be pullets.

And 5.5 weeks just reinforces what we said only with more certainty....nothing screaming roo...EE is a pullet for certain.  For me, it indicates it is more likely your barred is going to be a pullet as typically the roo's are presenting some red in the comb by 6 weeks.

LofMc

Yes, Nugget has been obvious for a couple/few weeks now, but I have to admit, a very small part of me is still in denial ;)

Yes, Nugget has been obvious for a couple/few weeks now, but I have to admit, a very small part of me is still in denial
wink.png

that will end when he starts crowing
hide.gif

LofMc

that will end when he starts crowing :oops:

LofMc

Lol, if not before than :) I just wish he would act more like a roo to help convince me ;) he is the first to push his way to the back of the group when they are startled ;)
Since I have got you...Elsa our EE has a lot of blue fluffy feathers under her brown wings. Does that help pinpoint any of the breeds she might have in her? EEs are a mix correct? Still learning ;) Here she was at a couple days old.

Lol, if not before than
smile.png
I just wish he would act more like a roo to help convince me
wink.png
he is the first to push his way to the back of the group when they are startled
wink.png

Since I have got you...Elsa our EE has a lot of blue fluffy feathers under her brown wings. Does that help pinpoint any of the breeds she might have in her? EEs are a mix correct? Still learning
wink.png
Here she was at a couple days old.

The thing that points Elsa to being an EE is the beard and muff (and I suspicion green legs) which are hallmarks of an EE. What that shows is she has Ameraucana blood close back from at least one parent. There are 8 accepted colors for Ameraucanas, and one of those is a blue, so the blue could come from that parent...or it could come from the other parent.

If curious you can see what standard Ameraucanas look like here: http://www.ameraucana.org/gallery.html

and the EE vs. Ameraucana vs. Araucana vs. Olive Egger here: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/09/ameraucana-easter-egger-or-araucana.html

EE's are lovely hybrids but because of being hybrid, with the dominant features of the Ameraucana, it is pretty hard to tell what the other breed mix is.

LofMc

Last edited:
Thank you LofMc! It is all so interesting! I have only scratched the surface with what I have learned, but I find it all so much fun and fascinating! Elsa has been the prettiest from the get go, and those blue feathers had me wondering! Those 2 links were great! Thank you! I am hoping she stays a she so we can keep her, she is just as sweet as she is pretty! She is my 3 year old's favorite and calmly lets her hold and play with her ;)

Oh Elsa's a girl...99% certain of that...actually 100% but never say that with chickens.

She is the EE color pattern for a girl.....even body partridge with gold hackle.

LofMc

Updates: Almost 8 weeks

Barred Rock has pretty round tail feathers.

EE pullet and SL Wyandotte.

Buff Orp

SL Wyandotte (facing the camera) doesn't have any comb to speak of. The area is red, but it's pretty flat. She's just got a little "pimple" thing.

None of their wattles have gotten any bigger.

Back
Top Bottom