Please tell me it's not Mereks

GermanKennhuhn

Crossing the Road
8 Years
Oct 10, 2015
New England
Ohh boy..:hit
About a week ago we received 80 chicks from Meyers in the mail. There was only one weak one when they arrived, but she recovered. Two days after they arrived, a chick was found dead in the brooder. No injuries were found. A day or two after that, there was another one dead in the brooder. Again, no injuries. A day or two after that, another one was found dead. It surprised me that they died after arriving, but I figured it was possible as I have only received chicks in the mail twice before.
Recently, two had been acting weird. They were weak, and one of them walked funny. I don't really know how to describe it, but kinda stiff legged. This morning, she was acting cold and was sitting on her haunches, weirdly upright. I put her in a separate brooder with the other weak one, and a few others.
Now the stiff legged one is currently sleeping underground:hitShe was just laying in the brooder, so I picked her up. She was acting unresponsive. She help her legs and wings stiff and twisted her neck backwards.I feel so bad. She was gasping for air, and thrashing around. :hitShe died in my hands. Of course it had to be our favorite chick. She was so sweet, and loved to cuddle. She would follow us.
Sorry for rambling. I just felt like I had to share my thoughts with someone.
Is this Mereks? Please tell me it's not. Could this have come from the hatchery? They were given medicated starter, kept in brooder larger than necessary, and had water available at all times, occasionally with Hydro Hen in it(Hydro-Hen - Manna Prowww.mannapro.com › poultry › adult-poultry-care › h...). They had a heat lamp as well, and the pine shavings were clean and dry.
Someone please help me. I'm so stressed.

Ohh boy..:hit
About a week ago we received 80 chicks from Meyers in the mail. There was only one weak one when they arrived, but she recovered. Two days after they arrived, a chick was found dead in the brooder. No injuries were found. A day or two after that, there was another one dead in the brooder. Again, no injuries. A day or two after that, another one was found dead. It surprised me that they died after arriving, but I figured it was possible as I have only received chicks in the mail twice before.
Recently, two had been acting weird. They were weak, and one of them walked funny. I don't really know how to describe it, but kinda stiff legged. This morning, she was acting cold and was sitting on her haunches, weirdly upright. I put her in a separate brooder with the other weak one, and a few others.
Now the stiff legged one is currently sleeping underground:hitShe was just laying in the brooder, so I picked her up. She was acting unresponsive. She help her legs and wings stiff and twisted her neck backwards.I feel so bad. She was gasping for air, and thrashing around. :hitShe died in my hands. Of course it had to be our favorite chick. She was so sweet, and loved to cuddle. She would follow us.
Sorry for rambling. I just felt like I had to share my thoughts with someone.
Is this Mereks? Please tell me it's not. Could this have come from the hatchery? They were given medicated starter, kept in brooder larger than necessary, and had water available at all times, occasionally with Hydro Hen in it(Hydro-Hen - Manna Prowww.mannapro.com › poultry › adult-poultry-care › h...). They had a heat lamp as well, and the pine shavings were clean and dry.
Someone please help me. I'm so stressed.

Meyer's offers at checkout for you to have the chicks vaccinated. Did you have them vaccinated? Regardless, it is my understanding that the incubation period is 14 days for the virus, so it seems unlikely. I really don't know a lot about it.

Thank you for replying. No, I didn't have them vaccinated. I don't know much about Mereks either, other than I hope this isn't it lol.
Did you get them for egg laying? For future reference, the cost of vaccinating is 100% worth it for preventing one of the most prevalent, deadly, and yet preventable diseases. I'm sorry you've lost some of your chicks. I hope someone can come along and offer better advice than me. Not trying to scare you, as I still don’t think it’s Marek’s.

Last edited:
Did you get them for egg laying? For future reference, the cost of vaccinating is 100% worth it for preventing one of the most prevalent, deadly, and yet preventable diseases. I'm sorry you've lost some of your chicks. I hope someone can come along and offer better advice than me. Not trying to scare you, as I still don’t think it’s Marek’s.
I did get them for egg laying, and to sell. Now I’m stuck with 80 chicks until I get this figured out :he I normally don’t vaccinate, but I may consider it in the future. Thank you very much, I appreciate your advice and sympathy.

What type of bulb is in your heat lamp, and what is the temperature inside of the brooder?
It a red light bulb, not Teflon coated. I’ve using it for years without a problem.
I’m not sure of the exact temperature, but they don’t act hot or cold and have plenty of space to get away from the heat. I dim the lamp during the day.
Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom