pleeease help!! My pooooor chicken!!! i think its really ill?!?!

beeZ2010

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 5, 2010
Norwich
I have a 4 13 week old buff orps, 3 are perfectly fine, but one started acting really strange yesterday when i was putting them in the coop for the night.
when i let them out this morning, she didnt eat properly and has barely eaten all day, she is really lethargic, barely moving, she walks about tho but not fast. One of her poops this morning looked a little suspicious possibly had blood in it, but not sure, but i cant guarantee it was her, nor have i seen her poop since. crop is really empty aswell. could it be the dreaded coccidiosis?? is there anything else it could b? what treatments can i give her?
please anyone help.
sad.png

Corrid is used for Cocci. If it's blood in the poop, that's what I would suspect. I would treat them all. But, you may want to put her into quarantine, you may have to give her meds with a syringe.

It seems to me that the most imortant thing right now is to get her to eat. I would separate her from the rest of your birds, then put food right in front of her. Mix yogurt, milk, or water with it if she does not eat her feed. If that does not work, I try one yummy thing at a time: fruit, cottage cheese, bird seed, small seeds like millet, cous-cous, canned corn, mashed potatoes, etc. My own experience from 15 years of doing this is: if they don't eat, they can't get over whatever else is wrong. I would not necessarily give medicine to her without knowing what she has, as a lot of meds have side effects.

btw I believe the medicated starter mashes also have something in them for coccidiosis. check it out, if you had them on a medicated mash. but if you don't know if that was her poop and if you don't know that was really blood in it you don't know that she has coccidiosis.

ok, so went into the coop this morning and there was definitely some bloody poop, so im guessing coccidiosis. There isnt anyone that sells any treatment near me, and if i order it online, it might not be here till tuesday which could be too late for her!! booooooooooooooooo
sad.png

can you get hold of dried milk ? sprinkle some on her food, aparrantly it helps until you can get the meds....i had to order my meds and they took 2 days to get here, so i used dried milk on their food and they were still alive long enough for the meds to get here
the olden day farmers used to treat the diareah with milk i believe
smile.png
but you still need the meds to get rid of the cocci

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom