Pls Help. Are Snail Shells Good For Layers?

jdankx

Chirping
Apr 13, 2020
Hi, I was wondering if I could feed my layers some snail shells...Is it rich in calcium? Will I need to feed oyster shells in addition? If I feed them only the snail shells will it meet their calcium requirements for egg laying?? Is there protein in snail shells or just the calcium..pls help

I’m not sure about the mineral content of snail shells, but I would be concerned about microbes living on the shells. Here in the PNW, there are a several nasty things chickens can get from eating slugs and snails. Where are the shells coming from? Is there a way to sanitize them? When my ladies get a snail, they’re keep the shells around to peck at so I’m sure they like them.

This article is interesting- it says that snail shells are made up of calcium carbonate, which is what oyster shells are made of. Oyster shells also have magnesium that your chickens will be getting, but I’m unsure of the amounts of both calcium and magnesium in snail shells. https://www.carnegiemnh.org/science/mollusks/forestcalcium.html

Fresh water snails are pretty nearly 100% calcium carbonate and an excellent source of calcium for layers.

Land snails are around 97% calcium carbonate and are also a good source of calcium for layers.

Oyster shell may not be necessary as long as you have an abundant supply of snail shells. Grind them up coarsely. The particles should be in bits and pieces, not pulverized into powder. The larger snail shell bits, a quarter inch or so, take longer to pass through the body and more calcium is thus absorbed.

As @MgnRose mentioned, it's always a good idea to sterilize the shells in your oven, even a hen's own egg shells, to kill off harmful bacteria before feeding.

Where are the snails coming from?

Roundworm , Tapeworm eggs... Just saying:idunno
""worm eggs may be picked up by snails, slugs, earthworms, grasshoppers, beetles, cockroaches, earwigs, and other insects. Known as intermediate hosts, these insects carry the eggs and when eaten by a bird pass the eggs to the bird. Identifying and minimizing the number of intermediate hosts that poultry have contact with helps prevent the birds from being infected with worms""
https://poultry.extension.org/articles/poultry-health/internal-parasites-of-poultry/

I’m not sure about the mineral content of snail shells, but I would be concerned about microbes living on the shells. Here in the PNW, there are a several nasty things chickens can get from eating slugs and snails. Where are the shells coming from? Is there a way to sanitize them? When my ladies get a snail, they’re keep the shells around to peck at so I’m sure they like them.

This article is interesting- it says that snail shells are made up of calcium carbonate, which is what oyster shells are made of. Oyster shells also have magnesium that your chickens will be getting, but I’m unsure of the amounts of both calcium and magnesium in snail shells. https://www.carnegiemnh.org/science/mollusks/forestcalcium.html
They are land snails and abundant here... So if I sanitize the shells in oven it will be completely safe for my chicken and no need for oyster shells?

""worm eggs may be picked up by snails, slugs, earthworms, grasshoppers, beetles, cockroaches, earwigs, and other insects. Known as intermediate hosts, these insects carry the eggs and when eaten by a bird pass the eggs to the bird. Identifying and minimizing the number of intermediate hosts that poultry have contact with helps prevent the birds from being infected with worms""
https://poultry.extension.org/articles/poultry-health/internal-parasites-of-poultry/

If I sanitize the shells in oven it will be completely safe for my chicken and no need for oyster shells ?? I

Assuming your hens will actually find the snail shells appetizing. The egg quality will tell you if the snail shells are an adequate substitute.

Baking in a minimum 350F oven for 30 minutes to kill parasites and bacteria should render the shells safe. Again, you will need to watch your chickens to be sure. I know ducks and geese are big fans of snails and I am assuming they would also be safe for chickens. Every decade or so, I'm wrong, though.

So, chickens shouldn't eat creepy-crawlies because they might get worms? :idunno

So, chickens shouldn't eat creepy-crawlies because they might get worms? :idunno
Just noting that some creepy crawlies can act as hosts to worms so if the OP is giving snails, then it may be a good idea to periodically get a fecal float to see if worms are a problem for their flock.

Last edited:
Just noting that some creepy crawlies can act as hosts to worms so if the OP is giving snails, then it may be a good idea to periodically get a fecal float to see if worms are a problem for their flock.

OK, that's fair. Keeping chickens away from bugs would NOT be easy!

There was mention of baking the shells above...I wonder if boiling will be a better or worse approach. Boil water might make good water for fermenting, since it'd in theory have a little calcium in it.

Back
Top Bottom