PLS HELP! Yuyu's head pecked severely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chickita

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 3, 2008
Two days ago I walked out to find my favorite chicken, YUYU, practically pecked to death. All of the feathers are gone on her head and her comb is pecked severely. She was bleeding so badly that I am worried her scalp was torn! I separated her from the group immediately (14 girls). Anyway, she is sooooo weak and I am worried to death. She is barely eating and sleeps most of the day. It looks like her right eye was hurt as well (she only opens one and partially opens her right eye sometimes) I am so scared to check on her for fear that I may not find her breathing:( Does anyone have any advice for me? Anything else I can do to help her?!?!!

benadine (Spelling) ?? the brown antiseptic......
put some on a cotton ball and clean her up really good first with a nice warm rag than cover the bad areas with the benadine.

Use a saline eye drop in her eye put at least 3 - 4 drops in wipe the eye and put neosporin in the eye put some on your finger, and use enough that it get's into the eye.

Bet she is looking better if you do this for a couple of days...
I had to do do the same with one of mine, and she is doing great now.

Also it would not hurt to isolate her and put in her water some antbiotics/Electrolites too for fluides if she is not eating....you can get both at your feed store.

Keep her quiet, gently rinse the wounds with saline, is what I would do. Keep her separated from the others, but where she can hear them. If her eye is injured, wash with mild saline or eye wash, apply terramycin eye gel. You can put neosporin on her other wounds, if you want. She's in shock, make sure she has water, don't try to force feed yet. She'll probably be ok. We had that happen to one of our roos...he recovered ok.

Isolate her in a dark place and make sure she has food and water. Clean the wounds and some neosporin might be good if there's open wounds still. Vitamins/electrolites and a hard boiled egg might giver her a good boost.

Poor baby! Betadine is the best solution to clean her wounds with, like Christmaschicken said. She will probably be ok - I just hate that chicken pick on each like that soemtimes.

re the eye ointment:
After flushing the eye with saline be sure that any ointment you use is specially formulated for the eye (so "normal" neosporin would not be acceptable)
She is in shock so be sure to put electrolytes in the waterer.

Back
Top Bottom