Plucking chickens with...... newspaper?

wyo-helpmeet

Songster
10 Years
Apr 23, 2009
West TN
One of the guys in on our meat order says his grandma used to dunk the chickens in the hot water, then wrap them in newspaper & slide the newspaper off, along with most of the feathers. Anyone ever heard of this? I've tried googling to no avail.

Maybe the ink in the newspaper does somthing to the skin,I personily wouldent do it becouse of poisining but if you try let us know what happens.

Hubby works in the printing/distribution department of our newspaper factility and almost all of the newpaper printing are made from soy plant ink and it is safe for bio reasons. By all means, use them!

Sounds like a mess waitin to happen. If it worked everybody would know about it. I have tried allot of wives tail- legends and lore. Most are just that, you miss one little detail in the retelling and kabam, you got a mess.

Just picturing it in my head, it might work, actually. Although it probably isn't as simple as wrapping and sliding. More like grabbing the newspaper (several layers of it) and pulling on the feathers through the newspaper. Might be a little less messy, especially on a windy day, and might be psychologically easier, but I doubt it is any faster.

Quote:
I don't agree. I find new easier ways to do things all the time. Even if people do know about the easy better ways to do things they still refuse to do it different. I have a hard time finding ink refills for my printer & I'm told it is because nobody uses them. I can fill a cartridge about 10 times for $8. That is $0.80 a cartridge instead of $34.00 so I save $332.00. I can't understand why people will not do this. Given some printers wont allow you to do this but the cheaper ones usually do.

Oops! Sorry. I didn't mean to get off topic.

I haven't heard of it but I'm watching to see if I can learn something.

It sounds like it would create a sauna like effect, assuming you leave them wrapped a minute or two, before doing the pulling/sliding. Theoretically, it should work. I'll have to try this. Thanks! karla

Have you ever put something damp on a pile of newspaper and left it for a minute? Newsprint paper is so full of plant cellulous and fiber that it almost turns to this weird slimy glue like stuff. I bet it would work.

And yeah, the print itself isnt toxic- unless its printed over seas theres no ink used on paper thats toxic. No american company uses anything besides soy ink, its cheaper, and the production waste isnt toxic thus easier to dispose of.

Remember paper mache in school? Just add flower and water and news paper and you can make a whole stink'n building. lol.

Let us know how it goes...

Back
Top Bottom