Plymouth Rock Bantams Discussion Thread

What variety of Plymouth Rock Bantam do you own?

• Buff

Votes: 6 7.2%
  • Barred

Votes: 47 56.6%
  • Black

Votes: 8 9.6%
  • Blue

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Columbian

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Partridge

Votes: 7 8.4%
  • Silver Pencilled

Votes: 11 13.3%
  • White

Votes: 19 22.9%
  • Other ABA recognized color

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Project Colors (Non-SOP)

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Large Fowl Plymouth Rocks

Votes: 8 9.6%

• Total voters
Nice job!!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Hey Julie, is this the fair that Jim was talking about?

Yep!
tongue.png
ETA: I had to leave the rooster I was talking about at home because he is still working on the new feathers. I almost left the winning hen at home, too, but I'm sure glad I didn't!

Last edited:
Not a great photo, but what I have at the moment. One of the cockerels, about 14 wks old:
52531_dscn3105.jpg

With huge thanks to a local breeder, I am raising five cockerels and twelve pullets. I think they're awesome, and I am looking forward to showing them! Thanks for having this thread

Quote:
The one bantam Barred Rock that's laying is a hen I got as a broody with week or so old chicks. She "weaned" them and began laying again when they were nine or so weeks old. She's been a very faithful layer - five eggs/ week average, I'd say.

At what ages do you all start separating your culls from the keepers on the Barred banties? I live in the city and I am going to try to keep a roo, but I want to be able to pick the best one from the order (Cackle) as early as possible, or at least thin the ranks and get it down to a two or three, max, before they start having crowing competitions in my basement brooder.

What are things to look for early on that are easy to cull on? What are your priorities? I know my rabbits tend to show their "mini me" adult type best at between 5 and 6 weeks. Is there a comparable "magic age" for the BR Banties?

I am also ordering Dominique Banties, and possibly BO banties, and will be doing the same thing with them. It will be interesting to compare them along the way, though the BO won't be able to be sexed right away like I am hoping to be able to do with the Doms and BR!

We sold our Buff Plymouth Rock Bantams at Crossroads in the Exhibition Turkey Fanciers silent auction. Can not recall who got them. So will be leaving the thread, but lurking, since I started the thread.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom