plz help me get my chicks sooner!

Eva Haley-Lock

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 14, 2014
Ok, so i am working with my dad to build a chicken coop, he hasn't even started it yet, and i need some chicks soon. i am so exited i cant stop thinking about them! if we buy the chicks now it would be a good 7 weeks before we moved them into the coop, so that gives him plenty of time to build a small coop. i am only planning on having 4.
please write something to convince him to get the chicks sooner, he wants to get them mid April, but i can't wait that long!!!!! i will show all the posts to him and hopefully we will get them sooner!
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
Maybe he doesn't have time to get the coop ready sooner? My hubby built the brooder and coop for me and it took awhile because he was so busy at work. Is there anything you can do to help him?

April is only two weeks away. I know you are anxious but I think you should try to be patient and be thankful that your dad is willing to devote his extra time to building you a coop. Why don't you instead focus on learning everything you can about taking care of your chicks and give your dad a break.

ETA: "Mid-April" is only 4 weeks away, which is still not much time at all.

Last edited:
In my opinion, referring to your father as "lazy" isn't the way to get him going. Maybe instead of complaining about all the things hes not doing, you can work on some things of your own to show him you're serious and encourage him to start building. Make the chicks a homemade drinker out of a soda bottle, or a hanging feeder from a milk bottle. Go and clear out the spot you've picked out for the coop, scrounge around for something to use as nest boxes.
My husband built my coop and brooder, and with his regular job and our children to also deal with, it took him a bit. I couldn't imagine the extra pressure it would have put on him if he was rushing to build them to meet a deadline or get chicks out of the house.

Anyway, there are lots of things that YOU can be doing now to occupy yourself and get ready for your soon to be chicks. If you show your dad how excited you are in a positive way, some of that excitement might rub off on him. You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar...

Good luck
1f60a.png

Last edited:
I agree. Why dont you start building the coop/getting it ready? Start drawing plans, figure out the supplies you will need, figure out where it will go, clean the area. Ask to go to lowes/home depot with your list and figure out how much the supplies will cost. If you are going to keep them in the house….wat are you using as a brooder?? Do you have a heat lamp??
I thought that my chicks would be in my house for 6-7 weeks….HA! They are dusty and smelly when they get bigger! Mine lasted 5 weeks in my basement and that mostly had to do with the cold weather. The brooder has to be cleaned at least everyother day…
If you get the chicks Mid-April, then they would be able to go right out to the coop with a heat lamp and not have to be in the house at all.

Good things come to those who wait!!!

I Agree with Everybody else. Maybe You can do some of the chores Your Dad does when He is not at work. Also by April You can keep them outside . Ask Your Dad if there is anything that needs to be done before "WE" start on the Coop. We all know how exciting it is to get the cute little fuzzy Chicks. Your dad make be testing You to see if Your going to do Your part.I have 10 Sisters and Brothers and each one had a job to do. No Excuses .During this time try to find some small things to Help out around the house it will show Your Dad You are Serious about the Chickens there are WORK involved . I'm sure Your Dad is like everybody else and has a lot on His mind . Good Luck.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom