PNW friends: when do your chicks go out to a coop?

Autumn Mama

Songster
10 Years
Mar 15, 2009
British Columbia,
my newest flock addition is now 6 and 7 weeks old. (two sets of chicks all brooded together.) we are in southwestern BC and the nights are about 50-55 degrees. the days have been a balmy and warm 70-75 degrees. i know my others two years ago went outdoors in the mid-spring to early summer but i've forgotten when. they are out all day, in a tractor as it has been sunny and warm. i would love to know how you approach this in the PNW, or with similar temps? thanks! :)

I live in Central Oregon and like you we get big dips in temps daily...aaack!! Anyway, now that the night temps are around 45-50, if your chicks are fully feathered out it should be no problem. When I put mine to the coop our nights were still getting down around the low to mid 40's and so I put a heat lamp out in the coop, but ended up only using it for 3-4 days. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
thanks! i am thinking on getting things set up for the weekend. i just never know if it will turn chilly and rainy here. the next week looks good though, and then they'll be 7 and 8 weeks old ...

they went outside last night, and all was good, just an update:)

Woot!!!
thumbsup.gif

mind you, we are in night number two of huddling girls on the grass in the tractor, needing a reminder (read: transportation by my son, with his flashlight, in the dark) where the actual roosts are :)

Back
Top Bottom