Point of lay?

mackenzie450

Chirping
5 Years
May 15, 2016
Im a first time chicken owner and I'm wondering if this lady looks like she'll be laying soon. I'm not sure since she is only 16 weeks old? I read to look for redness and increases size in comb/wattle. The photos were taken two weeks apart.

If that is a red sexlink, I'd be looking for her stash of eggs now. She's got some somewhere.

New pullets often find sneaky places to lay.

Otherwise, if you are sure she isn't laying yet, it should come very, very soon.

If not...give us a full profile shot of the bird to make sure she is a she. If the first photo is at 12 weeks, that might be a rooster in some breeds.

LofMc

If that is a red sexlink, I'd be looking for her stash of eggs now. She's got some somewhere.

New pullets often find sneaky places to lay.

Otherwise, if you are sure she isn't laying yet, it should come very, very soon.

If not...give us a full profile shot of the bird to make sure she is a she. If the first photo is at 12 weeks, that might be a rooster in some breeds.

LofMc

I was told she was a golden sex link. I purchased her from a feed store when she was a day or so old. L The first photo was taken at 14 weeks and the second at 16 weeks. She has been free ranging all day long for the past few weeks. I can't find a stash but do you think I should confine her to the run for a few days and see if she'll lay in the lay boxes?

You wont find a stash of eggs...
80 years behind me in Chickens...She will lay in a nest box.
I know birds....All too well.

Agreed.

But! She will wait until you have lost interest in looking in the box for eggs, and then lay like a chicken possessed. You'll probably be able to count the days (weeks) that she's been laying by the massive clutch of eggs that's been left unnoticed.....

Be patient, they always lay eggs, sometimes it just takes longer than others.

She is a Chicken and will lay that egg...Soon too!
Hens like home and if your nest boxes are soft with straw and shavings? she will use those.
If they Roost every night in the coop with the nest boxes you will be so happy to find the egg in the near future. I think in about a week.?

I was told she was a golden sex link. I purchased her from a feed store when she was a day or so old. L The first photo was taken at 14 weeks and the second at 16 weeks. She has been free ranging all day long for the past few weeks. I can't find a stash but do you think I should confine her to the run for a few days and see if she'll lay in the lay boxes?

Most Gold Sexlinks (aka Red Sexlinks...and many such names)...lay around 18 weeks...so she is very, very close...and likely laying. (And the head shot does look like a Golden Sexlink...just had to ask in case something was lurking behind the body shot).

If she has access to free range, then she can and may have a stash. The time I find huge stashes are with my young pullets who I am expecting to lay soon but am not actively looking for eggs yet. I had one get a pile of 18 and another about 21 before I figured out the silly thing was laying in the vine bushes.

Often new pullets won't lay in the nest boxes as the mature hens will push them out at first...they are seen as late comers and intruders into the favorite nests of the older girls.

Yes, locking her up in the coop/run for a week, once she is laying, will help settle her into the nest box.

LofMc

Back
Top Bottom