pointy end pipping chicks PLEASE HELP! URGENT!

redroosta

Flown the Coop
10 Years
May 29, 2009
I lost a chick because I helped it hatch because it pipped in the pointy end. do they need help hatching? or can they do it by themselves?

I never "help" chicks to hatch, if they are too weak to hatch they probably won't make it with help. Just be patient and wait.

I just had a baby goose, of all things, hatch by itself after pipping from the pointy end. Make sure the baby can breathe (peel back some membrane from the pip hole if there is no bleeding/veins), boost humidity, and wait.

Quote:
YEAH, but I'm talking about perfectly good chicks who just pipped at the wrong end.

No name calling!

3. No Flaming (verbally attacking people or groups of people - e.g. a profession, an organization, a company.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
YEAH, but I'm talking about perfectly good chicks who just pipped at the wrong end. .

I think you might have taken that wrong, they were just tryin to help.

You'll find that about half the people on here help and the other half are against it. Each side has good reasons however I find myself helping more than not. I've had good and bad results. If it was me I would try to help depending on how long ago it pipped.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having that kind of attitude, with those kind enough to take the time to respond to your requests (whether you like their answer or not), won't garner you much further help. Snakeoil's answer is likely to be the majority opinion here. Helping a chick rarely "helps".

Edited to add: OK Chickenfied, instead of majority I'll give you 50/50
lol.png

Last edited:
I always will help a chick in need, only after 8 hours of it's initial pip. I can't stand the thought of the little thing struggling to an eventual death. My humidity has gone bonkers my last few hatches which yielded a dry hatch, so without a doubt they needed a little help cause the membrane dried/glued onto them.

If in 8 hours from an initial pip, gently, with tweezers peel super small sections of the shell away (cautious of the membrane).

I haven't had any pip at the pointy end.... good luck!!

Rebecca

Everyone's going to tell you something different. The general consensus should be if there are veins still lining the egg, the bird needs to stay in that shell for about 6-12 hours longer. 8 hours after initial pip isn't very long at all. If I'd helped after that, my babies would surely have died. The struggling, if not excessive, is good exercise for babies.

High humidity during hatching is crucial. If you have a small styrofoam incubator, I suggest taking out the plastic liner and wire and putting down a moist towel, hatching in a plastic bin lined with paper towels. The moist towel on the bottom creates a lot of surface area of water, and it will not evaporate quickly. While I don't suggest taking the time to change your incubator's environment during a hatch, you may want to do that next time. If the membrane is drying out, wet the visible membrane and wrap the egg in clean paper towel, moistened just slightly with warm water. Don't cover up the pip.

I did this with my baby and she basically popped out.

sorry snake oil, just a little shaky because of the chicks. y'know. any way, everyone I need to know if they require help if they pip that way.

I have had it go both ways if they pip the small end. Usually mine pip their yolk if they pip that side, though.

Since there is no yellow goozing out of yoru egg, chances are they will do fine with just the small hole you made.

Check every 1 hour. If the membrane looks dry, try to drip water on it from one of the vent holes. If this is impossible, please try to ...as quickly as possible, drape a wet cloth (paper towel not recmmended...it can dry out and become part of the membrane within one hour!!) over the opened end of the shell.

If no zipping in eight hours, pry slowly tiny pieces of the shell away at a time, resting for fifteen-30 minutes in between shell piece removals.

Please be aware that each opening of the hatcher endangers EVERY other chick you have in there. SO, by saving this one, you could be volunteering to kill all the remaining chicks.

Good luck! I wish you and your hatch well!

Back
Top Bottom