Poison Ivy and Chickens

Jennn27

Songster
Mar 9, 2015
Marshall, TX
I posted this in another section, but no responses. Hoping someone will know??

"My chickens have figured out how to clear the fence and get out into the big yard. Which is fine, because we have a big place and they always come back. BUT, the problem is that we are constantly battling poison ivy and oak around our place. If I spray the Ortho spray on the poison ivy and oak in the evening after they are locked up, will it harm them the next morning when they are out and pecking at the ground for bugs? Everyone but my oldest is allergic to the stuff, and I actually have it now, so I really want to kill the nasty mess!
barnie.gif
"

I think someone did post a response on your other thread:https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/987757/ortho-poison-ivy-spray-and-chickens
Anyway, can't you just pull the poison ivy out while you are covered? Chickens are not harmed by poison ivy, they can eat it without getting sick. HOWEVER, you can not touch the chickens after they have been in the poison ivy, as it will be just like touching a poison ivy leaf. Hope this helps!
smile.png

Yeah I knew it wouldn't harm them, but I realllyyyyy wanna just kill it. I'm afraid that the spray will hurt the chickens though.

Best way to get rid of poison ivy is to pull it by the roots. Use gloves and long clothes, wrap your arm in a plastic bag, pull the plants with roots, and pull the plastic bag down over it.
Also, if you see a mature poison ivy plant climbing a tree or phone poll, cut the stem at ground level so it dies. It's the mature plants that are good berry producers, and birds love to eat the berries and poop out the seeds on your property.
Sorry you have it, poison ivy is the WORST THING EVER!!!

If you cut the stuff with a brush cutter or machete then hit it with Tough Brush Killer.

I was thinking this, too. Also, after drowning it in the tough brush killer, I was gonna cover it in a tarp, and weigh it down until a sufficient amount of time (days) has passed and the poison is no longer a threat to the animals.

3 pounds of salt, 1/4 cup of dish soap in a gallon of water sprayed on a sunny day also kills the stuff...and anything else in it's path! It may take a couple of sprays, but it's totally safe for creatures and the environment. Minus any run off into waterways...

Back
Top Bottom