Poisonous Plants

I believe that cultivated oats are grains that are still growing. I know that when I was growing up and the cows or horses got out into a growing field, everyone panicked. If the animal got too much of the fresh grain or alfalfa it fermented in the second stomach. They are unable to burp out the gas so the vet would have to come out and ....well, it was pretty graphic. If the pressure was not released, the animal died. I have seen bloated cows and horses, and it's not a pretty sight. Once the grain or hay is dried, it's not a problem.

Most everything can cause a problem if consumed in excess. Good judgment may be lacking.

I have had those same experiences, chcknrs - - out in the field with Dad sticking a knife in a cow's belly or the vet forcing a hose down the cow's throat.

Regarding the mustards - - note that both the University of West Virginia & Purdue lists all parts, especially seeds as dangerous. Cornell refers to the seeds and roots. Imagine for a moment yellow mustard, wasabi, and horseradish on your hotdog . . . with sauerkraut!
ep.gif

UWV says, "Symptoms are primarily those of a severe gastroenteritis due to irritation of the mucous membranes. Abdominal pain, salivation and diarrhea are commonly seen." Yeah, no doubt!!

There's a little more to the story than this but I'm trying to personalize a part of it
wink.png

Steve

Just to be clear then, I should never feed fresh broccoli to my chickens? My dogs love it and hasn't seemed to hurt them and we eat lots of it. And on another thread I read that someone hung cabbages on a string to give her hens something to do and to eat. But cabbage is on the list too. Very confusing.

Quote:
Paula, every list out there is somewhat confusing - especially if one does a little comparing and contrasting. I've just tried to find information from those folks who really do know what they are talking about. But, try to understand what they are cautioning and the extent of their concern.

It would be unwise to assume or to say that you can ALWAYS safely feed a radish (or something) to your chicken and as often and as many as they care to eat. But, if we have to wait until all of our feed is sanctioned by Purina or whomever - I guess we won't be feeding a thing out of our kitchens or gardens to our birds or even allowing them to free range.

Steve, who suspects that wasabi (as much as he likes it
smile.png
) really IS toxic and a hazard to his health.

Last edited:
Thanks Steve.
After checking a few more plant lists I saw that it is the roots and seeds of broccoli that are toxic, not the parts we normally eat. So, I can stop worrying about giving my dogs and birds my left over broccoli! <g>
Actually, reading those plant lists scared the crap out of me. I have so many of them in my yard and flower beds. I'm not concerned about the chickens with them since mine live in the house but I am concerned now about the dogs. I have had one dog I had to put to sleep a few years ago with serious neurological symptoms and we had no idea what caused them. Just assumed a brain tumor but now I wonder about his possibly eating some of the Pokeweed that grew around my fence.

I'm of the opinion that chickens don't eat plants that are poisonous to them. If anyone has a story of a chicken that died from a poisonous plant, please let us know. I've yet to hear of one. Maybe this time?

I've got several species of plants growing around my place that I know to be toxic, but have yet to see my birds take an interest in them. There may be some poisonous plants out there that chickens will eat, but my experience has been they don't eat any plant that is bad for them unless they are starving.

Now moldy grain is another thing entirely. That they sometimes will eat and you have to be careful to make sure they can't get at any.

.....Alan.

Quote:
I appreciate that your challenge went unanswered for 3 days, Brian. And then, Alan has only the wise caution on moldy grain.

This suggests to me that chickens usually avoid most of these dangers. I doubt if this avoidance is based on any "sense" they have about 'em. After all, they'll eat styrofoam and, I'd bet they'd drink anti-freeze and other horribly toxic substances.

The only problem I've had with impacted crops was from them eating stemmy hay. Sometimes, they can be complete idiots.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom