A disturbing list of unsafe foods/plants

Thanks for that list! And also, thanks Ridgerunner for putting it in perspective as well. But to err on the side of caution, I'll do my best to keep my duck away from these foods. Some of them are common sense of course--who would feed a pet poison ivy?--but others, like avocado, I would probably assume were okay to give as a treat. Good to know that I need to be careful with certain foods.

In looking at that list it would appear that every free-ranging chicken on the planet should be dead by now.

The good news is that chickens are smarter than we give them credit for and - from my limited experience - seem to refrain from eating those plants which could be harmful. I have several of the listed plants in my yard and the girls will mow down everything around them yet leave those harmful plants standing.

They either instinctively know which plants to avoid or they've read the list. Pretty smart either way.

Yes, in the fall I often see wild mallards in the park gorging on acorns. It may be that when ripe enough to fall off the tree, they're fine, or else mallards are fine with them. Have also seen cows and deer munch on them with immunity.

Curious about Asparagus. This list says Asparagus Fern which is a different plant from the Asparagus plant that we eat. I know that the red berries of an asparagus plant is slightly toxic to humans, but are these berries toxic to chickens?

That is a good list. Tho I did see some things like marigolds, garlic, catnip, etc are things that ducks can have. Some of which are good to give your ducks. I give my ducks garlic a lot, and marigold is in chicken/duck food to help your ducks feet and bill be glowing orange. Thanks for the list helped!!

I noticed marigold on the list but have read marigold was good with chickens
chickens will enjoy munching on them too. 4. Marigolds not only ward off insects in your garden, but they are also an antioxidant and promote the growth of new skin tissue. As an added bonus, chickens who eat marigolds lay eggs with bright yellow yolks”

My ducks fight over fig fruits. The guy we bought our ducks from has 4 fig trees that are continually picked clean of fruit by his ducks. So I would say the fruit is fine. My ducks also like the berries from my lantana bush. They will not touch the roots, stems or leaves, but the berries they pick off. They've been in my yard for a month and none of them have been sick, or shown signs of stress. Though, it is only a matter of time before I think my yard will have an overabundance of lantana bush sprouts...

One thing I was told by a local feed store guy. If it comes from a bulb, do not let them have it.

Thank you for your replies everyone.
I kinda did look at it and think WOW i'm going to have the chickens and duck locked in a pen and hand fed the rest of their lives
barnie.gif

And i did think most things in moderation wouldnt be so bad.

Amiga it would be very interesting to read what you find out :)
I really have enjoyed the many hours of reading i have done in here.
big_smile.png
Thank you all for great info!
I thought too, but my pilgrims in a bubble, LOL.
I also witnessed my gander eats anything that he shouldn’t like oak leaves, but one here and there. It is probably causing him running stools, because our the other goose has nice solid stools.
It’s good to learn more and more, anyway!

Back
Top Bottom