Poisonous snakes

You may want to build yourself a snake trap. I’ve seen a couple on YouTube. Are you near a pond or something? Flint River maybe? I was bit by one when I was young and it hurt like nothing I’ve experienced since so be careful.
Asking me? I have two .6 acre ponds, one in my front yard. Also, my farm is a high pine ridge that juts out into low swamp. So my place is an island that attracts a lot of deep woods denizens.

Lots of the snakes around here do no harm. Raise the number of snake species I have that I’ve seen to 11. I forgot to count coral snakes and brown water snakes. I tour the coups at night and that’s usually when I find the grey rat snakes and cottonmouths. My dogs find the rattlesnakes and the occasional cottonmouth. All my dogs get bit. There isn’t anything to be done about it. Its just a function of where I live.

Venomous species I have:
1. Timber rattlers (canebrakes).
2. Cottonmouths (water moccasins).
3. Pygmy rattlers.
4. Coral snakes.

Nonvenomous:
1. Grey rat snakes (white oak snakes).
2. Red rat snakes (corn snakes).
3. Black racers.
4. Indigos.
5. Brown water snakes.
6. Banded water snakes.
7. Scarlet snakes (or scarlet kings? There is a difference and I can’t quite discern it, I have one or the other that lives by one of the coops that I see once a year).

Seems like I may have seen a ribbon snake, but I can’t remember for sure. Can’t remember if I’ve seen a garder snake around or not. I have seen baby non-venomous snakes I couldn’t ID.

You may want to build yourself a snake trap. I’ve seen a couple on YouTube. Are you near a pond or something? Flint River maybe? I was bit by one when I was young and it hurt like nothing I’ve experienced since so be careful.
Nah, I'm a ways from the river and this is only the 2nd copperhead I have ever seen in 30 years on our farm. Run across a Canebrake on occasion....but I live in the middle of nowhere so there's no wonder that I get critters.

While cleaning my run today I came across a juvenile copperhead...I have no idea where he came from or how he got in but he did. My birds were out free ranging at the time but had they been in they would have encountered him for sure and he was only about 10 inches long so not too intimidating to them I'm sure. Question is: Can they eat a poisonous snake and not fall ill? Can the snake strike them and harm them or are the feathers too thick to get them?? On a side note...I almost wet myself when I saw him. LOL

Thanks
Hi some years back I was gardening and I noticed our Australian Terrier was interested in our Isa Browns and watching through the fence. I checked them out and saw they were chasing one that had a baby brown snake and fighting over it. It was probably 250mm / 10 inches long. I realised it was too late and dangerous to intervene and an angry baby snake can be dangerous as well. Anyway later in the afternoon I had a sick chook sitting down so I put it safe under shelter for the night and by the morning it was dead. So take care yourself if the chooks have a baby snake don't get bitten by an angry one while you are trying to save your chooks.

Good grief, too scary! 😱 We have Prairie Rattlers out here, fortunately my birds have never encountered one. I would imagine chickens can be bitten and unless it's a dry bite, would most likely die. My birds have gone after Garders and small Gopher snakes, only chased them though. I am sure they would definitely eat a small snake.

Stay safe out there and keep the Copperheads out of your run! :D

Chickens peck at snakes. In India they fight cobras. Your snake was probably after an egg. Egads!

There are snake traps you could use.
Have gone around and reenforced where a second snake may have entered the coop, we lost another bird, the girl we named Pecker for always pecking the tin. He actually ate her and he couldn’t escape. He also paid with his life…did sharpen the machete. Started with 12 and now have 8 pullets, two were sickly and two to snakes. Tuff when the babies get harmed and I do have my vengeance.

Back
Top Bottom