Polish breeding project with tolbunt rooster

Mrslong12

Hatching
Jan 17, 2023
So we picked up a frizzle polish rooster at an auction a couple months ago. We couldn’t pass him up as he was a beautiful color and was being picked on and missing feather. This is the first o have ever owned polish chickens but he has made me fall in love. He is the sweetest rooster we have. After doing some research I have figured out he is a tolbunt. We have grown to like him so much we have decided to add some hens for him so we can hopefully hatch some eggs. We bought 2 golden polish hens and 2 black polish pullets. Will post pictures bellow of rooster and golden hens. My question is if we hatch eggs from this set what color of chicks could we get from them? I can not find a color breeding chart for polish chickens anywhere!

Attachments

• DF3EF8C3-7ADF-406A-91F8-65B1BCA9E61D.jpeg
    DF3EF8C3-7ADF-406A-91F8-65B1BCA9E61D.jpeg
    784.7 KB · Views: 70
  • 49DADC84-0AC1-40EF-95CA-60B28F0CFCC4.jpeg
    49DADC84-0AC1-40EF-95CA-60B28F0CFCC4.jpeg
    911.9 KB · Views: 37
Breeding a tolblunt to a gold laced will give you tolblunt/gold laced splits. You can cross the offspring back to the rooster to get 50% tolblunts and 50% tolblunt/gold laced splits again.

If you cross splits to splits you will get 25% gold laced, 50% tolblunt/gold laced splits, and 25% tolblunts.

Are you black Polish pure black or white crested blacks?

Breeding a tolblunt to a gold laced will give you tolblunt/gold laced splits. You can cross the offspring back to the rooster to get 50% tolblunts and 50% tolblunt/gold laced splits again.

If you cross splits to splits you will get 25% gold laced, 50% tolblunt/gold laced splits, and 25% tolblunts.

Are you black Polish pure black or white crested blacks?
Thank you! That helps a lot. I have one pure black and one white crested black.

I am also assuming the frizzle would be the same 50\50 probability or does that gene get lost?
No. It doesn't get lost. Frizzles generally have 1 frizzle gene as opposed to Frazzles, which have 2. Crossing a frizzle to a straight feathered hen will give you 50% frizzled and 50% smooth. Generally it is best to not cross frizzles to frizzles because then you end up with about 25% frazzles, and these have extreme frizzling that is not ideal and they can also have health issues.

I believe the black/tolblunt Polish cross would give you black with gold leakage, with some possibly showing some white. The white crested black's offspring would probably show white in the crest with lots of black and maybe gold mixed in. So really the gold laced are the best bet for crossing with tolblunts.

So we picked up a frizzle polish rooster at an auction a couple months ago. We couldn’t pass him up as he was a beautiful color and was being picked on and missing feather. This is the first o have ever owned polish chickens but he has made me fall in love. He is the sweetest rooster we have. After doing some research I have figured out he is a tolbunt. We have grown to like him so much we have decided to add some hens for him so we can hopefully hatch some eggs. We bought 2 golden polish hens and 2 black polish pullets. Will post pictures bellow of rooster and golden hens. My question is if we hatch eggs from this set what color of chicks could we get from them? I can not find a color breeding chart for polish chickens anywhere!
Just wondering if you had any chicks with this color combo. I’d love to see them.

Back
Top Bottom