Polish breeding

There is a gene called Dominant White. It changes something about the way the chicken's body would make black pigment, so no black is made. With no black pigment, the areas that otherwise would be black are actually white.

The Gold Laced and Silver Laced Polish varieties have gold or silver in the middle of the feathers, and black lacing around the edges of the feathers.

The Buff Laced variety has buff in the middle of the feathers, and the lacing around the edge is white (caused by the Dominant White gene, turning the black edge to white.)

Because the Dominant White gene works on any black parts of a chicken, it can make black lacing into white (on Buff Laced Polish) or an entire black chicken into a white one (like White Leghorns, and what I expect for OP's chicks), or it can make black spangles into white spangles (Chamois Spitzhaubens), and so on for any other pattern that could be in black on a chicken.

So when someone crosses a Buff Laced chicken with anything else, the chicks inherit Dominant White. In this case, the other parent is giving genes to make the chick black all over, so the Dominant White will make all that black turn into white. If the chick inherits the blue gene, that would dilute black to the gray shade we call "blue," but it still turns white if Dominant White is present.

A chicken with one copy of the Dominant White gene can have some bits of black showing, because the gene is a bit leaky (examples: California White chickens, Paint chickens, chicks from a cross of Buff Laced Polish with Gold Laced Polish, and so forth). A chicken with two copies of the Dominant White gene will generally not have black bits showing (purebred Buff Laced chickens, White Leghorn chickens, etc.)
Thank you!

What genes would a partridge color pass? I’ve attached my cutie.

Attachments

• IMG_0963.jpeg
    IMG_0963.jpeg
    610.6 KB · Views: 1
I have a picture of a hen and rooster (maybe on the rooster, I might have gotten rid of them) that would show the likely color result for your original question if you'd like them. They weren't full polish though, so they have traits that yours won't have like feathered feet

The female is almost entirely white with a tiny bit of black
20220917_133538.jpg

The male (right)
Started off mostly white and as he grew, gold came onto his main body and head. I'll keep looking for an older pic of him
20221112_173841.jpg

To be clear… these are from a buff laced and blue polish right?
Dad was gold neck D'uccle (color genetics should be the same as gold laced though) and mother is a white crested black polish. Half of the daughters would theoretically look like my female and half would have blue instead of black on the random colored feathers. There may be incomplete lacing on yours though since yours would be from a laced parent and not mottled like mine. But I believe they still would almost certainly be almost completely white daughters and white/gold sons because of that dominant white gene from Mom covering up the blue/black from Dad

Got it! Now to keep pestering you … what genes would a tolbunt carry?

On a different note -I was hoping to only keep my blue polish rooster, and get a variety of other colors of polish hens to get some interesting variety of chicks.
What other color hens would you suggest (other than my buff laced) to put with the blue or should I just get another easier color of rooster?

Got it! Now to keep pestering you … what genes would a tolbunt carry?

On a different note -I was hoping to only keep my blue polish rooster, and get a variety of other colors of polish hens to get some interesting variety of chicks.
What other color hens would you suggest (other than my buff laced) to put with the blue or should I just get another easier color of rooster?
I think they have barri,g and lacing? That might be candy corn though, which I think is different. I don't breed polish, I just happened to keep a trio of bantams to mess with

If you get blue hens, you'll get blue, black and splash babies.

what genes would a tolbunt carry?

I think they have barri,g and lacing? That might be candy corn though, which I think is different. I don't breed polish

I think Tolbunt is gold laced with mottling (white tips on the feathers), and Candy Corn is gold laced with barring (white lines across the feathers.)

Polish aren't one of the breeds that really interest me, so I haven't paid too much attention to the details of some of the rarer colors.

What genes would a partridge color pass? I’ve attached my cutie.

If you breed the silkie to the Blue Polish rooster, you should get black chicks and blue chicks, with normal feathers (not silkie), crested heads, an extra toe on each foot (assuming the silkie has that trait), and feathered feet. I can't see the Silkie's comb well enough to make a prediction about that.

Back
Top Bottom