Polish chicken mites

Hei-hei

Chirping
Aug 11, 2022
Hi all,
For whatever reason, my poor Polish chicken keeps getting mites on her. I have treated them all with Permethrin, cleaned the coop, sprayed the perches, and retreated several times. Lately, I only find them on my Polish’s crest/neck/back. I DO treat them all. I just never see them on any other birds. Have even given them all baths to look closer.

I’m guessing the creepy crawlies keeping coming from wild birds as we have LOTS of them here. Is there some sort of mite that loves the floofy crested birds and goes after her first? Should I try spraying around the outside of my run too? Add garlic to their water? Help!

Are you applying the dust or spray to hear head and neck?
If not, then that may be the issue.

I'd also retreat the area she roosts at.

You are certain they are mites and not lice? How many legs on the critters you see?

Are you applying the dust or spray to hear head and neck?
If not, then that may be the issue.

I'd also retreat the area she roosts at.

You are certain they are mites and not lice? How many legs on the critters you see?
I am treating her head/neck. I’m pretty sure it’s mites. They move pretty fast though. Would I treat them any differently if it is lice?

I am treating her head/neck. I’m pretty sure it’s mites. They move pretty fast though. Would I treat them any differently if it is lice?

Use scalex spray for treatment and prevention ! It’s saved so many of my chickens from mites
You would still treat with a Permethrin based spray or dust.

Scalex Spray is a Permethrin based spray, since the OP is already using Permethrin, I'm not sure what the difference would be, do you? :)

Back
Top Bottom