Polish Girls Getting Bullied

BellaBlueBell

Songster
Apr 4, 2020
Central PA
I have two buff orpington that are a year old and two polish girls that are 10 weeks. At six weeks, I put the polish girls in a coop beside the older hens where they can see each other and started letting them into the older girls' run through the day. One of the orpington would peck if a baby got in her way, but she didn't chase after them. I did this for three weeks. Two nights ago, I added the polish into the main coop overnight. It seemed to go ok. Today I looked closely and the polish have been pecked between the eyes, drawing blood. They were in the main coop for only two nights. I have separated them again.

What do I do now?

Both Polish had blood drawn? Or just one? What's the main coop set up like (photos would help immensely)?

When integrating I'll either set my auto door to open early so the chicks can run for it if needed, or I'll prop it open with a brick to achieve the same thing. Yes there's some predator risk but I only do it for about 5 days.

You mentioned using another coop during integration. Have you considered keeping the Polish as a separate flock instead? Due to their feathering they're often attacked by other breeds and may need to be housed completely separately.

Back
Top Bottom