Polish Hen not sure what's she's doing

alexpb22

Chirping
Nov 18, 2018
Hi all, I wondered if anyone with experience of Polish Hens could share some insight for me please. I've had chickens a few years, mainly Buff Orpington but I recently got 2 Polish Hens. Thing is, one of them has slightly strange behaviour and I can't figure out what's causing it. I know that they can have trouble with their feathers obscuring their vision but I have made sure to regularly trim them and ATM I can't see any issue with them. She does this weird thing where she often looks right down at the ground and stands there for a while just staring or she'll keep backing up and thrusting her head towards the ground. It's like she can't quite see but I know she can so I'm confused. She also doesnt leave the nest box in the morning, I have to take her out and she also insists on perching in the doorway at night, again I ahve to put her in but usually after the door has come down on top of here, which she doesn't seem to mind. I just don't know what's wrong with her. She did seem to have an eye infection a few weeks ago but I've since cleared that up with antibiotic cream. Having said that, this behaviour started before the infection anyway. She's kinda always done it. I took a little video just now to show you, maybe it's normal behaviour but I haven't had them long enough to know. If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them 😁 I've added a video to show you the hen.
https://streamable.com/kxatdd

I agree with others. Wry neck can include the hanging neck, and sometimes it can be twisted to the side, up, and the chicken may walk backward (as yours) or in circles. It is a neurological symptom which can be a sign of vitamin E or thiamine (B1) deficiency, a head or neck injury, and may be seen in a few diseases, including Mareks disease. How old is she? Was she vaccinated for Mareks? Could she have been injured by the closing door? I would give 400 IU of human vitamin E softgel, a 1/4 tablet of human B complex, and a small amount of scrambled egg for selenium daily. Do that at least for 2 weeks to see if it helps.

Back
Top Bottom