Polish Hen's brood 2021

Okay Polish Peeps!!!
Let's have some fun on a Friday night.
I'm going to post two pictures of 2 White Crested Blacks at a solid 6 weeks old. I know my thoughts, what are yours? Pullets or Cockerels or one of each.

Attachments

• 20210716_211536.jpg
    20210716_211536.jpg
    407.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210716_211931.jpg
    20210716_211931.jpg
    500.1 KB · Views: 2
Yessir. I've noticed though that when she feels her chicks are threatened she tucks her hairdress back, almost like she slicked it back with water. Then, two minutes later she's back to a poof head. Todays excitement,,,,
Baby steps.
View attachment 2761303

And then, mom comes along,
View attachment 2761307

And then everybody is in.

Daddy says, he don't mind.

View attachment 2761313

Proud Pappa

View attachment 2761318

Last I looked everybody was up on the pallet, chicks sitting next to mom, most of the rest of the flock sitting there as well. Couple were checking out the chick food in the brooder. Everyone seems cool.
How exciting is that!! YAY!!!!!!

Okay Polish Peeps!!!
Let's have some fun on a Friday night.
I'm going to post two pictures of 2 White Crested Blacks at a solid 6 weeks old. I know my thoughts, what are yours? Pullets or Cockerels or one of each.
6 weeks! Wow! I'm thinking the one is definitely cockerel with those wattles. The other, I can't tell. But, I will guess one of each.

Thats exactly my thoughts too. I have a White Crested Back hen and her 6 week pictures DO NOT have waddles even close to that size. So, out of 3 White Crested Blacks, I have 2 pullets and one cockerel identified so far.
Out of 3 Golden Lace, I have 3 Pullets. That is the only one with Waddles. My two Buffs don't show any waddles yet either but I'm unfamiliar with the Buffs waddle growth rate.

Ahhhh, good day and pretty much the same picture though her wings weren't stretched out as much. It's much warmer today. But earlier, when everyone was out free ranging, the little ones were getting the hang of the coop and the roost.
20210719_133144s.jpg

20210719_133228s.jpg

I put the Chicks only door on the brooder so that nobody but chicks can get in and eat their food PLUS it gives them a place to get away from bigger chickens though I've not seen any problems that way. A full grown hen may peck at them to move them away from some tasty morcel but there's been no attacks. Everyone acting like good aunts. But while some where in getting late night snacks, Momma must have thought it was too late to go to the coop to roost so back up on top the Brooder box they all went. Queue adorable pictures.
20210719_205641s.jpg

20210719_205705s.jpg

If only it wasn't a box top covered in poo. Of course, if only they wouldn't dust bath in sand, wood ash, a mixture of miniflake and wood AND poo. And yet, there are a couple of the hens I carry around with me from time to time. One of them used to come up to me all the time and demand to be carried. She was, special.

Ahhhh, good day and pretty much the same picture though her wings weren't stretched out as much. It's much warmer today. But earlier, when everyone was out free ranging, the little ones were getting the hang of the coop and the roost.
View attachment 2766635
View attachment 2766636

I put the Chicks only door on the brooder so that nobody but chicks can get in and eat their food PLUS it gives them a place to get away from bigger chickens though I've not seen any problems that way. A full grown hen may peck at them to move them away from some tasty morcel but there's been no attacks. Everyone acting like good aunts. But while some where in getting late night snacks, Momma must have thought it was too late to go to the coop to roost so back up on top the Brooder box they all went. Queue adorable pictures.
View attachment 2766637
View attachment 2766638

If only it wasn't a box top covered in poo. Of course, if only they wouldn't dust bath in sand, wood ash, a mixture of miniflake and wood AND poo. And yet, there are a couple of the hens I carry around with me from time to time. One of them used to come up to me all the time and demand to be carried. She was, special.
ADORABLE!!! :love :jumpy:jumpy:love:love
Thanks for sharing!

View attachment 2766635
View attachment 2766636

View attachment 2766637
View attachment 2766638

I love the broody pics. 😍
I have an EE hen that talks to me and then sticks around for me to pick her up. Sometimes I start the conversation and she runs away when she's not got much to say. 😂

View attachment 2766635
View attachment 2766636

View attachment 2766637
View attachment 2766638

OMG they are so adorable. 🥰

I should get video. My chicks are teenagers now. How do I know? Try getting them in at night. There are 7 of them and only 2 of us. Walking them around the pen only for them to duck and run under the door where everyone else is in eating scratch before bed. The generally all hang out together, which our birds last year did as well. They do like comeing out int he morning and getting treats but man do they were us out at put up time. They walked right in Tuesday, but every other day at least on or two will try to get away and then a couple more will run out to see what they're doing. Ahhh, KIDS!!

Back
Top Bottom