Polish Thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Calling them non-combative and birds like Rhode Island Reds and Marans as combative is a pretty opinionated statement, I'd say.

The factual differences are that Houdans are a 5 toed bird who only comes in two recognized colors, mottled and white. They're larger, heavier, (they were made to be dual purpose) and normally by standard of the breed, should look like a brick with a crest and beard. Polish on the other hand are smaller and more "ornamental," they have the normal 4 toes on each foot, a more traditional slightly lean looking body, and come in a wider choice of recognized colors, however unlike Houdans there are no mottled Polish.

Because Houdans are a rare breed, and Houdans who look like what the breed standard and what their purpose of creation was for are exceedingly rare, honestly the only difference these days is that Houdans come in mottled and have 5 toes. Otherwise their body type in most cases looks the same. They often weigh the same if not for about 1/2 to 1 lb difference, they both usually have the same body type and tail set, they're both often bearded or non-bearded (even though Houdans should never be clean-faced unlike Polish) and have small, medium, or large crests and/or combs.

In a nutshell, these days, the only difference you'll see in most cases is coloration and that extra 5th toe. :) If you want to get either Polish or Houdans for a backyard flock you're honestly not going to notice a difference. Hatcheries breed them both with the same idea in mind, and you'll get extremely similar birds. I don't see any behavioral or hardiness difference between my Houdans and Polish other than the fact that the line of Polish I've been breeding are remarkably courageous, tough, and curious birds.  My Houdans act about the same as the Polish I kept for pets but didn't breed. There's not much to say on their temperament beyond that, because everyone's experiences differ on strain, environment, and climate.

Don't feel offended about the combative vs non-combative breeds.  It's not an opinion but an experience gone through personally so be tolerant for sharing my lesson learned the hard way - something I hope will help someone else possibly experiencing a similar circumstance.  I always thought a chicken was a chicken was a chicken.  My folks only had Babcock Leghorns in quantity and before that a few RIRs & BRs so my experience had always been with assertive breeds until later when I started building my own little flock and found a significant difference in breed temperaments.  I had discovered that the crested, bearded, muffed, feather-footed breeds turned out generally more docile in temperament than the popular heritage or heavier dual-purpose breeds.  As pullets the breeds seemed compatible together until they reached about 18 months to 2 years of age and at this maturity the larger, heavier breeds bullied the smaller or gentler breeds just because they could get away with it - the gentle breeds either couldn't or wouldn't self-defend themselves.  We re-homed our nice Leghorns and Marans because they were exceptionally aggressive towards our Silkies and Ameraucana.  I had a couple Silkies I thought were moulting (their heads were going bald!) but then discovered the Marans cozying up to them at roost to pick off all their fluffy feathers!  During the day the 7-lb Marans would jump and claw attack the 2-lb Silkies - not an equal match.  I know flock politics is a chicken thing but when there are escalating attacks with potential injury I don't tolerate it.  Leghorns are wonderful birds for so many reasons but the Mediterranean breed class are not shrinking violets and will take advantage of bullying if not put in their place by an equal defender.  Ameraucanas and EEs would rather flee than fight so the Leghorns had a field day chasing them to pull out their beards/muffs.  The Leghorns and Marans were an equal match to each other so instead shifted their focus to chase the gentler breeds.  Marans are aloof and stand-offish to humans which makes them seem calm but they will suddenly jump on and claw-attack viciously a gentler breed.  My friend and I have experienced this with our Marans and will not be replacing them in any variety if there are gentler or smaller breeds in the flock.  I love nearly all breeds of chickens but found out the hard way that it is wiser to keep the breed sizes and temperaments similar to avoid serious flock conflicts - especially in a small suburban yard like ours.

I have to say my experience matches that of Sylvester. I have two coops now and alternate who gets to free-range. One coop houses my LF/combative breeds: two EEs, a barnvelder, a RIR mix and a Cuckoo Marans. The other houses my bantams/non-combative breeds: Cochins, d'uccles, Polish, OEGBs, and silkies.

While they were together, and if I ever free-range them together, the combative breeds pluck my little ones. My polish has a bald spot on her head from those instances and my silkies got bloodied before we got the second coop.

I strongly recommend against combining combative and non-combative breeds. Temperament has nothing to do with SOP, but so many stories of heartbreak have told me where which breeds come down. There are many extensive lists online or even just on BYC and there are too many commonalities between them to simply ignore.

I have to say my experience matches that of Sylvester. I have two coops now and alternate who gets to free-range. One coop houses my LF/combative breeds: two EEs, a barnvelder, a RIR mix and a Cuckoo Marans. The other houses my bantams/non-combative breeds: Cochins, d'uccles, Polish, OEGBs, and silkies.

While they were together, and if I ever free-range them together, the combative breeds pluck my little ones. My polish has a bald spot on her head from those instances and my silkies got bloodied before we got the second coop.

I strongly recommend against combining combative and non-combative breeds. Temperament has nothing to do with SOP, but so many stories of heartbreak have told me where which breeds come down. There are many extensive lists online or even just on BYC and there are too many commonalities between them to simply ignore.
Thank you, FoxholeFarm - I knew there were other chickeneers that might have had similar experiences mixing combative breeds with non-combative or bantam breeds. Currently I do not have any breed over 5-lbs and they are only non-combative breeds to keep peace in our little backyard. There are some breeds like Fayoumi, Campines, Jaerhons,etc that are under 5-lbs but they have wilder temperaments and not necessarily a good match with calmer non-combative breeds. I loved my large dual breeds for they were excellent layers, but they were too aggressive and terrorized our littler gentler breeds. We find we enjoy our peaceful little flock who give us small to medium eggs now instead of our old hard-to-manage combative flock that gave us large to XL eggs!

I could not agree more with both Foxhole & Sylvester!!! Polish should never be keep with Aggressive Breeds of chicken, I specialize in Polish and keep only them and D'Uccles for a reason...I find they do better with like tempermented birds, like D'Uccles, Cochins, Silkies even Houdans and Sultans. I have had some terrible experiences mixing these with RIR's, Wyandottes and Sex Links...most were caused by someone telling me...Oh they're not aggressive..it will be fine,.... and that's a very cavalier attitidude to take toward a living creature..... better safe than sorry is a much more humane messange. to Illia, no offense... but your reply seemed a little rude... opinions that are backed by facts and personal experience are valid.... and we all listen to and accept your opinions with an open mind and tolerant heart so please do the same. I love this thread as it is drama free and I think I speak for all and hopefully yourself when I say: we'd like to have it stay that way.

Last edited:
I agree. My polish are in their own flock, which does include 4 polish mixes. I watch the mixes closely. If they get pushy with the pure polish, they will move in with the layers. The layers are in an adjoining coop, they can see each other, but that's it. My Jersey Giants have their own coop. I did try mixing my flock a few years back, and had disastrous results.

I wasn't offended nor did I mean to offend, all I'm saying is that it is in fact, as you've said too, something that differs per experience which allows the formation of opinions based on the experience. I even mentioned at the end that it all comes down to strain, environment, and climate. I've known a lot of Polish that yes shouldn't be with larger breeds due to their behavioral differences, and some that are perfectly capable of flock mixing. I've worked both with mixed flocks and separated pens with Polish, Houdans, and the various other non-crested breeds out there.

My point was that behavior is not something you can count on with wondering what the difference is when it comes to crested breeds. Appearance and genetics are mainly it, since there's nothing in the standard nor what most breeders focus on, that asks for a specific behavior in Polish. All of my current Polish from various sources are perfectly capable of being in a mixed flock without being picked on, but so are all the Marans I've had, too. In fact any of my Marans are more laidback and passive than my Polish. It's a differing thing dependent on variables like strain and environment, but not something to rely on when comparing crested breeds. I myself never know if some Polish or Houdans I pick up are going to be skittish and flighty or not, as I've had some pretty spooky ones as well as some aggressive males, who normally I'm not used to.

Hi everyone Ive been trying to get a good pic of my barred rock polish cross roo a nd his sister to show off with their mini crest.

Back
Top Bottom